How can I help my females laying their ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
I have a few adult females who are needing to lay their ooths.

My h.masjuscula is very fat. I have put popsicle sticks on the lid where she can lay it on. Or do they prefer other places? Same case with a H.membranacea and a ghost.

I already lost a mantis of being eggbound and that is not fun. I dont want to loose my girls to this.

Give them larger cages with branches of different thickness. If you don't get anything, then try adjusting the humidity and temperature.

- MantisGirl13

I picked some branches from my tree. How can i desinfect them so i can put them safely with Alana and Ayaweya?

Spooky laid her ooth on the popscicle stick I put on the lid. Think I sould take the stick out and put a new one there?🤔

I don’t disinfect mine. Ya, put the ooth in a separate container. Congrats!

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator:
The ooth is placed in it own cup with a date on it. Dont know if Spooky will give me more. I really hope her ooth is fertile so Spooky and Ghosty will live on in their offspring.

Now Alana and Ayaweya need to lay their ooths .Ayaweya is very fat. She really need to lay, I have put popsicle sticks on her lid too and a branch to lay her ooth on, I did the same in Alana's home.

Ayaweyas ooth will be infertile, She never got the chance to mate with Tybalt. she turned adult on the day Tybalt died. But she must lay or she will be having the same fate as Aurene.🤔

Alana may be fertilized, but not sure. Soon Rytlock is fully mature and be able to mate. I can always try to mate her with Rytlock.

Spooky should give you one every week or two of she is kept well fed.

- MantisGirl13

Spooky has a good appetite🤣Yesterday I was holding a grasshopper before her face and she grabbed directly. 😎

I sowed a big branch to the lid of ayaweyas lid. I hope she will like it to lay an ooth on it. She ignores the stick I have placed in there.. In Alanas home i have placed a row of popsicle sticks, maybe she will like it to to put an ooth on it. They can hang upside down and put easely an ooth. This is all new, I need to find out what the favorite places are where they want to lay their ooths.

Spooky got a new popsicle stick to lay her ooth.

Some sad news: Ghosty went to mantis heaven...