How many flies to feed an L5 mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetterdew

Reaction score
How many house flies per day should I feed to an L5 ghost mantis and an L5 Carolina mantis?  I've caught like 20 of them from a trap I made (the tupperware one designed by a user here) and whatever I don't use, I can feed to my venus fly traps or use tomorrow.

They actually look pretty big so they might be blue bottle flies.  I'm gonna double check.  I probably have a mixture of sizes.

At that stage I fed ghosts one in morning and offered one at night. Some ate once a day. Ghosts will take larger size fly if hungry although some may be a bit timid at first on large ones. Keep bellies full but not "obese". I often fed to full then not so much for a few days. Figure in nature they may go for a few days without eating in the later L stages. Have no exp. with Carolina.

How many house flies per day should I feed to an L5 ghost mantis and an L5 Carolina mantis?  I've caught like 20 of them from a trap I made (the tupperware one designed by a user here) and whatever I don't use, I can feed to my venus fly traps or use tomorrow.

They actually look pretty big so they might be blue bottle flies.  I'm gonna double check.  I probably have a mixture of sizes.
I feed my L5 Carolina about 4 flies every 2 days. They seem to do well with that.