humidifier for the bug room?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been having trouble keeping my "bug room" and my bugs humid. I will spray the heck out of one of my cages and wake up for it to be 58 RH! I was thinking about investing in a humidifier, have any of you had any luck with using them to keep humidity higher or would it be a waste of my money?

Hello all! I have been having trouble keeping my "bug room" and my bugs humid. I will spray the heck out of one of my cages and wake up for it to be 58 RH! I was thinking about investing in a humidifier, have any of you had any luck with using them to keep humidity higher or would it be a waste of my money?
Oh god let's run through a few things
1: 58% isn't bad at all
2: IDK what state you're in, but in dry states, the wall materials of houses can't withstand higher humidity levels without mold
your best bet is to get a grow tent to help hold in humidity better. it's what I use in high/dry NoCo!

i'll have to consider the mold part but the room I have them in is brick/stone so I'm not worried about mold, also I mentioned 58% because I would spray, get the RH up to 85% for it drop all the way down to 58 when that species is supposed to within the 70-85% range. I'll also give context that I have about 20 enclosures in that one room so Its not within my budget to buy a buncha grow tents. Regardless I appreciate the feedback!
Oh god let's run through a few things
1: 58% isn't bad at all
2: IDK what state you're in, but in dry states, the wall materials of houses can't withstand higher humidity levels without mold
your best bet is to get a grow tent to help hold in humidity better. it's what I use in high/dry NoCo!

i'll have to consider the mold part but the room I have them in is brick/stone so I'm not worried about mold, also I mentioned 58% because I would spray, get the RH up to 85% for it drop all the way down to 58 when that species is supposed to within the 70-85% range. I'll also give context that I have about 20 enclosures in that one room so Its not within my budget to buy a buncha grow tents. Regardless I appreciate the feedback!
internal hydration is more crucial than external moisture
grow tents aren't as expensive anymore, especially used on craigslist

Прошу подсказать, как ответить в существующую тему?
Может я делаю что то не так?
Прошу помочь.
Спасибо.
Выделите текст, на который хотите ответить, и нажмите значок, который появится под ним. Другой способ — нажать значок в правом нижнем углу, и исходный пост будет включен. Надеюсь это поможет. Спасибо гугл переводчик!

Attachments

• Reply.jpg
    Reply.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ReplyWithOriginalPost.PNG
    ReplyWithOriginalPost.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 0
I successfully used a console humidifier in my bug room and believe it greatly helped manage and fend off mismolt problems. I usually kept it between 70 and 80% humidity, if I remember right, in there and rarely had mismolts. In conjunction with a couple of heat lamps and space heater (in the winter) and closing off the AC vents in the summer, it kept the room toasty and moist, on the verge of sweltering at times... but great, in general, for mantis and feeders (fruit flies, house and bluebottle flies, crickets, roaches) ooth hatching, and accelerated growth. I also frequently misted net cages and containers. I recommend a humidifier as it worked well for me; but I don't think it's critical to successfully raise mantids. Misting frequently can be a low-cost, albeit more time-intensive, alternative. Best of luck in how you choose to add humidity!

I successfully used a console humidifier in my bug room and believe it greatly helped manage and fend off mismolt problems. I usually kept it between 70 and 80% humidity, if I remember right, in there and rarely had mismolts. In conjunction with a couple of heat lamps and space heater (in the winter) and closing off the AC vents in the summer, it kept the room toasty and moist, on the verge of sweltering at times... but great, in general, for mantis and feeders (fruit flies, house and bluebottle flies, crickets, roaches) ooth hatching, and accelerated growth. I also frequently misted net cages and containers. I recommend a humidifier as it worked well for me; but I don't think it's critical to successfully raise mantids. Misting frequently can be a low-cost, albeit more time-intensive, alternative. Best of luck in how you choose to add humidity!
before I got my grow tents I got a few humongous humidifiers, like those $200 4-gallon ones. I had 2 in a 1200 square foot room and still had to fill them every other day. Colorado am I right? Well the humidifiers crapped out on me after like 6 months... UGH
Now I just use grow tents and mist every other day.