I didn't realize my mantis was about to molt!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use roaches, and my roaches are perfect feeders! They live a long time, and my mantids devour them. I would definitely recommend using dubia roaches.

- MantisGirl13

Roaches are indeed good feeders, They are strong and none has died off. (except being eaten) and they dont make a mess of their box. I watch my mantis while feeding. Never feed her in cage. I take her out and then feed. Then a cricket or something cant hurt my mantis. And seeing her eat is fun.

I love watching mine eat too! I have to hand feed my ghosts most of the time since my dad HATES flies for some reason. Hand feeding small mantids is tricky, but once I started on roaches, it has been much easier to hand feed. It's kinda funny, but it is my dad, not my mom that hates crickets, roaches, and any kind of fly. My mom is fine with it!

- MantisGirl13

I offered a cricket to Bruno, (his new name), and he grabbed at it but it got away. He did it three times and then just totally ignored it. I guess he was just playing with it or something. Either way he appears to be able to grab at his prey and he wasn't hungry. I'll try again tomorrow.

With Cochises last molt took a few days before she started to eat again too. Hopefully Bruno will eat tomorrow.

I offered a cricket to Bruno, (his new name), and he grabbed at it but it got away. He did it three times and then just totally ignored it. I guess he was just playing with it or something. Either way he appears to be able to grab at his prey and he wasn't hungry. I'll try again tomorrow.
Do not feed crickets. Feed flying prey like flies or moths...

While I have no experience with crickets, a lot of users say they’re safe as long as they’re kept healthy, and are closely monitored while in the same habitat as the mantis. 

Often recommended as a safer substitute would be dubia roaches, which are commonly available at most pet stores, and generally  accepted by Mantids as a staple diet. 

Aside from fruit flies, winged things are not commonly available other than online. Waxworms, I believe, are sold at PetCo and most pet stores, and they mature into moths. But I’ve heard they aren’t good as a main food source because they’re high in fat. Flies have to be purchased as pupae online and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to give them to your mantis, unless you’re willing to breed them. Although I’ve heard it’s a gross and smelly venture. 

Good luck with whatever you choose!

While I have no experience with crickets, a lot of users say they’re safe as long as they’re kept healthy, and are closely monitored while in the same habitat as the mantis. 

Often recommended as a safer substitute would be dubia roaches, which are commonly available at most pet stores, and generally  accepted by Mantids as a staple diet. 

Aside from fruit flies, winged things are not commonly available other than online. Waxworms, I believe, are sold at PetCo and most pet stores, and they mature into moths. But I’ve heard they aren’t good as a main food source because they’re high in fat. Flies have to be purchased as pupae online and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to give them to your mantis, unless you’re willing to breed them. Although I’ve heard it’s a gross and smelly venture. 

Good luck with whatever you choose!
You don’t have to purchase flies or breed them... just go in your backyard and catch em’. It’s quite easy.

You don’t have to purchase flies or breed them... just go in your backyard and catch em’. It’s quite easy.
That is what I usually do. Use a net or a piece of fabric, and catch your own!

- MantisGirl13