I finaly got an account!

Help Support Mantidforum:

robo mantis

Reaction score
I have been collecting praying mantises for years mostly chinese :D .I am trying to get a good collection of mantises I have been trying to breed P.argonina (budwing mantis)just in case I spelled the scintific name wrong :lol: I got a female from francisco but my male attacked her what do I do?

Jesse

Reaction score
That is normal, I've seen that happen plenty of times. He is just a little "confused", after a couple of minutes or longer (up to 30 min.) he would have eventually turned himself around and began copulating. That is a good reason not to overfeed"fatten up" the females too much, the abdomen is much more prone to injury when big and fat.

robo mantis

Reaction score
yeah she went into her defence position she is a bit small i was told she was adult but i think she is a sub adult.

Jesse

Reaction score
If she has wings that cover 1/3-1/2 of her abdomen she is adult. You can't tell for sure? Maybe you should find some pics on the web.

Samzo

Reaction score
I've found that feeding the female up is the best way because I almost lost my male several times... (although he was a bit of a wuss lol) As Jesse said the wings should cover 1/2 or 1/3 of her body, it's fairly obvious really but you should look on the net as you don't want to waist your time trying to mate a sub!

Ian

Reaction score
Also, when the female is adult, she will not be able to curl her abdoman. I have to say...adults are pretty dam obvious, I expect you haven't gone wrong there. Although, it does make it harder, the fact that they do not grow full wings. Good luck ;)

Cheers,

Ian

Latest posts