I need Moths!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsea

Reaction score
Ok, so I now only have 1 Tenodera sinensis left. Lookout is the survivor. But she really wants to eat more moths, however they are dissappearing where I live due to winter. Does anyone know where I can buy live moths? Or does anyone have lots of moths around? (they must be free of areas with insectisides,pesticides, and/or heavy traffic).

You can buy silkworms and let them pupate. You would have to feed them for awhile until they do. I've been thinking of doing it myself but I dont have the money to spend right now.

Hmm well right now there seems to be a nationwide shortage of silkworms! I found one place that seems to have eggs in stock, but that will take a month to get to moth stage. Plus my mulberry leaves are probably dying out (outside in the wilds of NC).

So before I go for the eggs, maybe someone here still has moths flitting around outside their home, or knows of a good moth seller?

Ok, I have waxworms now and 1 just pupated. I have never seen them turn into moths....do you know how long it takes from pupa to go to moth?

Ok, I have waxworms now and 1 just pupated. I have never seen them turn into moths....do you know how long it takes from pupa to go to moth?
I would say at least a month, but could be shorter. Make sure there are paper towels or something they can climb up to expand their wings. I used to gently mist with water every other day to endure easy hatching for the moth.

Go to Mulberryfarms.com. They sell dry food you cook either in the microwave or stove top for them to eat. That way it doesnt matter what time of year it is, you'll always have food for your piggles.

I Used a cheese grater to make little shreds so it's easier for them to eat.

Have you tried blue bottle flies? They still have the stimulation that comes with a flying insect while being far easier to procure than moths along with being more nutritious for a staple diet.