I think my Indian Flower Mantis has laid an unfertilized ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uralowl

Reaction score
I've had my Indian Flower mantis for quite some time now, she molted into an adult on the 11th of March and she's never been mated. Last night I saw her wandering around her enclosure, which is quite unusual for her since she's normally always perching upside on the ceiling. This morning I woke up and saw her sitting next to an ootheca that she had laid on one of the branches. However, as I said, she's never been mated. She's become very thin since this happened and she happily ate two crickets earlier today.

Since the eggs haven't been fertilized, can I just assume they'll never hatch? I've tried googling this and am getting mixed messages. Some sites say they can't even lay unfertilized oothecas and others are saying they can and that sometimes baby mantids will hatch from them.

I'm not really sure what to do in this situation. I've just left the ootheca alone for now, but are there any chances there may be some baby mantids eventually hatching or is it safe to just remove it once my mantis dies, which sadly I think is fairly soon now that she's laid eggs.

Creobroter are not parthenogenic, so no viable offspring will hatch from it.

My ghosts are doing The same thing :( I'm just waiting for my males to make one last molt

Creobroter are not parthenogenic, so no viable offspring will hatch from it.

My ghosts are doing The same thing :( I'm just waiting for my males to make one last molt
Bit of a pity, but I don't really have a great deal of room for a bunch of baby mantids anyway, so maybe it's a good thing, lol.

It will not hatch. Mated or unmated females will lay ooths.

Latest posts