Idolomantis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the time she wasn't eating anything and had fasted for several days. I would rather have risked possible problem foods over letting her starve. I figured out that the problem was that she was having a hard time hanging upside down on the mesh I had at the top of her cup so I glued medical gauze onto it and she quickly got comfortable and is now eating well. In fact today she molted into her 4th instar.
Thats great news!

LAME's Experience. 

Temperature: 80°F - 105°F

Humidity: 70% - 90%

Prey: 
L1 - Fruit flies.
L2/Adulthood -  house flies, moths, green/blue bottle flies, bees, wasps, Dubai roaches, lobster roaches, and Madagascar hissing roaches. (Babies/smaller nymphs only.)

Prey to avoid: Crickets. Do not feed them crickets.

Molt time very dependant upon feeding (Meal sizes/how often.) and also heat. Come later instars you can delay molt times by feeding less (keeping them SLIM...Not starving. ) and dropping heat to 80°F
You can also reverse it and speed molt times so they will molt quicker.

ALSO NOTE: Come later instars (Presub,Sub,Final molt.) If you're like me and watch your idolos closely , you notice swelling around the jaw, mouth,and budwings of the mantid. Once you pick up on it, you can judge your molt window (and PREPARE.) for those final sheds.

Housing/molt surface:
Materials Needed:

Hot glue sticks/Gun.
Rubberized shelf liner.
Polyester mesh.
Tape. (Clear packing tape. Not regular. )
Time.. and a little patience. 

L1/L5 - Modified "Idolo Friendly" 32oz deli container will work. Hot gluing rubberized shelf liner on the inside walls and lid is ideal.

L5/Adulthood - Modified "Idolo Friendly" builds. (5 gallon/ desired.) I personally use 10 and 20 gallon. Idea remains the same, however.

--- IMPORTANT: Before wasting your time and supplies, take the time out and tape all edges of the inside of the tank. Without doing so when the glue hardens it will simply peel off in a day or so..

ALSO NOTE: Come the last few molts I add in polyester mesh. Combined with the rubberized liner, so far has been a godsend on my end.

Lifespan - 1 year, Give or take a few months. Males perish 1-3 months after reaching adulthood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is a back and forth on humidity for this species and I for one have tried both. The last couple of molts, I went with bone dry and they seem to molt better and faster. Of course, this is a sample of 3 so it could be just luck. I do plan to raise the humidity soon as my big female just went through a molt and is L6. I want to follow the dry and wet season in Tanzania if possible fo the mantis age. The picture shows her doing some funny acrobatics (she couldn't get a grip).

IMG_2753.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
really cool care sheet. this species is incredible but so fragile. I unfortunately lost mine today. she miss molted although I gave her high heat and lots of proper gripping sticks to molt off. she must of fallen but I have no idea why.