Idolomantis diabolica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
So.........after having these guys since L1 and going through six molts problem free, the problems are now coming at me full speed. Female molted to L7. Molt went fine except one of her legs dried with a curve in it. Doens't look like it will be a problem, but she isn't using the leg.

Last night the other female molted to L7. Everything looks fine physically except that the mantis is staying on the bottom of the enclosure only climbing up an inch or so. It appears the mantis cannot grip. I wonder if they need larger mesh/screen?

Good luck Rick.... I have the same problem last time. My experience is that they need really tall enclosure with tons of small branches. Apparently they hook their legs onto branches and sometimes have trouble holding on screen. If the idolomantis is on the floor all the time... it is a goner! The legs are too weak to hold them up. It might be due to the fact that they fell while molting (even when they fully came out of their old skin), they need at least to hang themselves upside down for a few hours to strengthen themselves. Anyway good luck, I would suggest to start contacting those who have Idolomantis at L7/L8 just in case.

Hi

Yes, the typical problem: The last moults. I had 100% missmoults to adult in my first try with Idolomantis some years ago. The few specimens who not fell down and broke all legs had at least messed-up, curly wings. And I know not only Pohchunyee, Kruszakus or me had this enorm problems with the adult moultings although pets were doing fine until the last moults.

Last year, in my second try, almost 100% of the adult moultings were successfull, and this time now, again all is going fine, the first females are mated already.

What I did on my first try in contrast to the last successfull years was:

Some years ago I kept them in net cages or at least in glass cages with the front completely out of mesh. This caused two problems: The temperature and humidity was not high enough or was not staying high enough trough the day. When they moult to adults, it is rainy season in the areas of Kenia and Tanzania were they are coming from. This means, when its time for adult moults, they should be kept as a rainforrest species: I keep them in ordinary glass terrariums now, with one small metal screen in the lower front and another samll metal screen in the middle of the top. So I can make sure the temperature daytime is high and the humidity is very high 24hours. I want to compare it with a tropical hall like they have them in some zoos, for example for alligators: When you enter such a tropical hall in a zoo, you feel like you walk against a wall, caused by the high humidity and temperature. If you wear glasses, they will directly fog up and get steamed. This is the same now in my Idomonatis enclosures: When I open them for dayly feeding, my face can realize the high humidity and temperature, I can feel it on my skin. This is how it should be I guess.

While Gongylus needs big net-areas for air circulation and no humidity, for Idolomantis the ventilation has to be good, too, but the humidity must be present all time, the air has to be humid all time (for the last moults!).

The second thing I improved compared to my first try is the huge amount of fine branches. I thought such a big species needs a lot of space for moulting, but I now can say: The more branches and twig you offer, the better they do! They are very smart in finding the right area to moult if you offer endless thin branched twigs (1-5mm diameter). The more twigs you offer, the more potential good areas they have, and they will find a good area for final moulting. And they won't have problems with enlargeing their wings. So, don't be afraid of too much branches, make sure your enclosure is really full with thin branched twigs. Its like you cannot put enough of them in the enclosure! They have to be very branched in all directions to make sure the pet can move its body in the right position right after moulting for enlargeing the wings.

And the last thing is, again like phochunyee already pointed out: Make sure that you American keepers of Idolomantis stay in good contact and exchange your animals for a maximum offspring later on. You know the adult males do not last very long, maybe maximum 4 month beeing good boys for breeding. And the females need around 4 more weeks for the extra moult and another 4 weeks to become ready for mating. So males are in general useless for breeding with a female which hatched out at the same time the males hatched or even out of the same ooth. It would be sad if now, after Yen Saw again put a lot of them out into the marked in USA, all would vanish again. So I recommend you to collect all the owners of I. diabolica in USA now and work out some kind of cooperation.

Ah yah, before I forget: Of course the right diet with flies fed on honey and some other wild insects like bees, Syrphidae etc. hast to be offered all the lifetime to make sure the pets are in a strong condition for the last moult which need a lot of power.

Rick, I wish you the best luck and cross my finger for you! Hope you will be successfull!

regards from Indonesia,

tier

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Rick. They are a beautiful species. I hope they make it
wink.gif

Adding all the branches seems to go against what I have learned about keeping mantids. I had them in there but have been slowly taking them out with each molt. I will add them back. Maybe this one will make it if I do that. This will probably be a failure this go around but I will try to keep them going.

That was interesting. I packed the net cage full of small twigs. That mantis literally jumped off the floor and onto a twig. She turned around head down and started cleaning herself. Amazing!

She knew what she wanted! haha

I thought about pursuing this species but perhaps I will own them vicariously through you now that they sound pretty hard!

this is a species that is not for the novice or amatuer hobbyist as many will tell you as some will say you need lots of heat lamps and what not and thats why I would not raise just this species because of its level of care needed!

She still seems to be having issues hanging. I don't get it. A molt ago this mantis was fine. Nothing has changed. We will see what happens on the next molt.

She still seems to be having issues hanging. I don't get it. A molt ago this mantis was fine. Nothing has changed. We will see what happens on the next molt.
Isn't this species known to have generations of L7+ becoming weak and dying, some not even breeding...? What else has happened to other people raising this species to L7+ stages...?

Thanks for guiding me here Rick. I was told that honey would perk up a mantis, guess this is not true? Sugar water and honey are basically the same, at least that's what I was taught in health class... That honey is just plain sugar...

I have chameleon screen cages and tons of dead Dwarf Umbrella plants with lots and lots of very thin, yet strong skinny branches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually she seems to be doing ok. The sticks allow her to climb when before she couldn't.

Update: I added many small twigs as Pohchunyee suggested and they seem to be just fine now. The one who had problems is even hanging from the cage surface as if nothing was ever wrong.

I am very nervuouseellells see me chatter! thanks Tier for all your information!
AAhh, come on. You know you are welcome, honey. But be aware Í am a newcomer breeding this species, I don't like to give recommendations on keeping a species which I haven't kept for more than some generations. I hope soon my second generation will hatch. So be carefull with my information. But be aware that this specis do not allow longer mistakes. They will do fine for some month if kept uncorrectly, but then suddenly they will not forgive any mistakes. And be aware that my information is only valid for IGM 25, imported from Tanzania some years ago, the only tribe which is bred for some years without bigger problems by "good" breeders. All the new, cheap imports like they are available again and agian may have other preferences, but nowbody knows their preferences because nobody bred them yet. Luckily, as far as I know, your Idolomatis in USA now from Yen are IGM 25, but I am not sure about it. But I guess so ;-) Have good luck with this species please!

Dang! First female molted to adult last night and of course fell. Found her in a heap on the cage floor this morning. This was the good one too. This mantis has had zero problems up to this point. I have one more chance with the other female, but I am not holding my breath.

I had put in many tiny branches but it looks like she still found a spot on the cage and molted from there. Or maybe she tried to molt too low. The shed skin was on the floor too, so she probably fell. While they look cool, these are far too much trouble. It isn't that they are hard to raise, it's that they just can't grip anything well. :angry:

Yea, Tier , thanks, so hard, I guess Rick we are gonna have to become bats to hang upside down with them and hold their hands! All three males are adult, one perfect, other two with puffy wings, tearing hair out as I type..... :blink:

Latest posts