Idolomantis/Metallyticus/Eremiaphila/etc.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those metallyticus are stunning. Hopefully you'll get some ooths from them.

All but two M. splendidus are adult now. I managed to get a decent comparison between a fully colored female and one that molted a day ago.

gnZDxOY.jpg

8iqhxai.jpg

Lafw2ot.jpg

I also attempted to film a female a bit. They are less hyperactive than the males, but my camera still has a hard time capturing them.

The Eremiaphila offspring is doing great. One male was a very fast grower and has already reached adulthood. He is so small though that I think he might have skipped a molt for some reason. Two females of the previous generation are also still alive.

c04mbPk.jpg
j458FjS.jpg

CZRjIC1.jpg
0uM2QJx.jpg

Fxh9Zpw.jpg

j458FjS.jpg

Ate this little guy the whole  grasshopper?  His dinner  looks bigger than the mantis. (his eyes are so cute)

Voracious little things...I find it amusing the one photo where he's so hungry he doesn't even care that he's practically upside down.

All the M. splendidus males are dead by now, the tank has gotten very calm again.  Matings occurred, so hopefully something hatches out of the ooths. Apparently the incubation time can be over three months, it'll be a while until I potentially see success.

JjLshDe.jpg

ZKNzBRu.jpg

dfGQ1t8.jpg

The next generation of Eremiaphila is all grown-up and ready to mate again. Such a fast life cycle.

yreedzg.jpg

RsTwzas.jpg

Also trying out Acontista sp., a tiny species whose nymphs mimick ants. They are capable of parthenogenesis, on which I'll have to rely on for offspring since I didn't get any males. I hope it works out, they are pretty and active little mantids.

ntK26AQ.jpg

wiHeoGZ.jpg

Heterochaeta orientalis

MgCOqFR.jpg

sC3OH76.jpg

Plistospilota guineensis

p3uc3LY.jpg

6WVUKoT.jpg

Wow! You still have quite the collection! I really want to get Eremiaphla. Your H. orientalis is beautiful. You were wrong about one thing, though! Your Mettalycus tank does not look very calm to me!

- MantisGirl13

Incredible photos...of some really unique species.  With their mimicry, I'm seeing - ants, tiger beetles, small cricket/grasshoppers...with extra personality.  Really surprised how small the nymphs are for the M. splendidus.  Are they aggressive enough to tackle ffs at that stage? 

Regardless, keep the photos coming if possible. Good stuff.

Congratulations on the metallyticus hatch. Not something many have achieved. 

@Velve how do you get the black background for your pics? I mostly use plain white, but wanted to try something else.

The first ooth fully hatched over three days, giving me 14 live nymphs, a decent number for this species.

3DctZqv.jpg

sQYe60C.jpg

Incredible photos...of some really unique species.  With their mimicry, I'm seeing - ants, tiger beetles, small cricket/grasshoppers...with extra personality.  Really surprised how small the nymphs are for the M. splendidus.  Are they aggressive enough to tackle ffs at that stage?
They eat springtails until L3. From then on firebrats are their main source of food. The species doesn't accept flies too well, flat food like firebrats and roaches work great and conveniently run towards the dark hiding spots where the M. splendidus wait for them.

Here's a comparison between a L1 and a dead D. melanogaster. They are too big for the frail nymphs.

oqioG3K.jpg

@Velve how do you get the black background for your pics? I mostly use plain white, but wanted to try something else.
That's caused by my camera's flash. I don't have any setup for photos.

Latest posts