Illegal to keep Exoctic Insects without permits

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisGalore

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was emailing with an APHIS agent to get information about permits for importing mantids. She brought that fact that it is illegal to keep mantids without a permit aswell with the exception of:

Mantis religiosa

Tenodera aridifolia

Tenodara sinensis

To apply for the permit is free and it is valid for 3 years after you recieve it. You will have to renew it every 3 years in order to keep your insects.I did not mention our hobby or my collection in order to avoid any issues. Thanks~ Aaliyah

Her Contact Info:

Barbara A. Jenkins

APHIS

Email:[email protected]

I've went through this before and unless something has changed it isn't quite as easy as what you say. I was told by Wayne Wehling (search to find the thread I made) that a hobbyist can apply for a permit but is unlikely to receive one but one stipulation is that you must report your sources which is why I didn't apply for the permit. I wanted the permit because I display mantids at an event and wanted to bring exotics which required the permit. In the end I decided not to invite "the man" into my life. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've went through this before and unless something has changed it isn't quite as easy as what you say. I was told by Wayne Wheeling (search to find the thread I made) that a hobbyist can apply for a permit but is unlikely to receive one but one stipulation is that you must report your sources which is why I didn't apply for the permit. I wanted the permit because I display mantids at an event and wanted to bring exotics which required the permit. In the end I decided not to invite "the man" into my life. 
I have also spoken with him. I didnt go too much into detail here but I thought Id give a basic rundown.

Wayne F Wehling

APHIS

[email protected]

Yes that is him. He said I had a reasonable chance of having the permit approved but didn't think someone who wanted one just to keep mantids would get approval. 

Seems strange that Stagmomantis carolina isn't on the list without a permit, as it is one of the few true native species.
help2.gif
Perhaps it some of the typically lawmaker BS and they don't know their own topic.

I'm curious though would the permit help get imported mantids through customs? Would help in that regard to get some species here in the states easier. Then again I know some do it already without one.

My post I was referring to is still on the first page of this section. I think it would be helpful to read. 

Here is the updated native and naturalized mantid species list for the continental US (with help from Rick and a book I have)...

• Arizona tan mantis (Stagmomantis gracilipes)
  • Arizona unicorn mantis (Pseudovates arizonae)
  • Bordered/Arizona mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)
  • Brunner's/American stick mantis (Brunneria borealis)
  • California mantis (Stagmomantis californica)
  • Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina)
  • Chinese mantis (Tenodera aridifolia)
  • Chinese mantis (Tenodara sinensis)
  • European mantis (Mantis religiosa)
  • Grass mantis (Thesprotia graminis)
  • Grizzled bark/Florida mantis (Gonatista grisea)
  • Ground mantis (Litaneutria ocularis)
  • Horned ground mantis (Yersiniops sophronicum)
  • Larger Florida mantid (Stagmomantis floridensis)
  • Little Yucatan mantis (Mantoida maya)
  • Mediterranean mantis (Iris oratoria)
  • Minor ground mantid (Litaneutria minor)
  • Mountain/Montana mantis (Stagmomantis montana)
  • Narrow-winged mantis (Tenodera angustipennis)
  • Obscure Ground mantis (Litaneutria obscura)
  • Scudder’s mantid (Oligonicella scudderi)
  • Skinner's ground mantis (Litaneutria skinneri)
  • Pointy-eyed mantid (Litaneutria solitarium)
  • Slim Mexican mantis (Bactromantis mexicana Syn. Oligonicella mexicana)
  • Texas unicorn mantid (Phyllovates chlorophaea)
  • Yersin's ground mantis (Yersiniops sophronica)
  • Rare/unknown species (Found in dated scientific articles about mantids in the US, possibly reclassified to another species name, although some are known but extremely rare (and have no common name))
    - Bactromantis virga
    - Litaneutria borealis
    - Litaneutria longipennis
    - Oligonicella bolliana
    - Tithrone clauseni (Named after member Peter Clausen maybe? :) )
    - Tithrone corseuili

I'm pretty sure T. aridifolia is not found in the U.S. and actually refers to T. sinensis. I think it used to be called T. aridifolia sinensis so both names would probably refer to the same species here. I think as long as the species in question is found native or naturalized in the US it is legal to keep it.

I'm pretty sure T. aridifolia is not found in the U.S. and actually refers to T. sinensis. I think it used to be called T. aridifolia sinensis so both names would probably refer to the same species here. I think as long as the species in question is found native or naturalized in the US it is legal to keep it.
That makes sense

Alright thanks, that clarifies it. I just couldn't place the T. aridifolia. Only source that had anything was Wikipedia which is so unreliable to be ignored. It did though hint that the two names might be interchangeable.

I will do more digging to start a list of native/naturalized species.

Alright thanks, that clarifies it. I just couldn't place the T. aridifolia. Only source that had anything was Wikipedia which is so unreliable to be ignored. It did though hint that the two names might be interchangeable.

I will do more digging to start a list of native/naturalized species.
I think the 3 that he listed are the only ones that are "legal to keep".

The problem with that is there are a lot more natives than just those listed (original to the continent itself without human interaction). Let alone if you add in the ones that have been naturalized for the last 50 to 200 years.

There in lies the issue, it's a quandary to itself, much like any law. Hmm, perhaps the best way to find the answer is directly from "the man". I did send a message to both email address' of the updated native/naturalized list and a brief message - from a old email account. I will post any response I receive.

According to the reply I got from Wayne, any native or naturalized species is legal to keep without a permit. 

According to the reply I got from Wayne, any native or naturalized species is legal to keep without a permit. 
Indeed that is correct Rick, I got a reply already. :D

Here is the entire response from Wayne F Wehling ( [email protected] )

Hi Thomas,

USDA APHIS requires a permit for import and possession of mantids that are not native or naturalized in the
United States. All of the mantids you listed:

European mantis (Mantis religiosa) (naturalized)
Chinese mantis (Tenodera aridifolia) (naturalized)
Chinese mantis (Tenodara sinensis) (naturalized)
Narrow-winged mantis (Tenodera angustipennis)
Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina)
Arizona Unicorn mantis (Pseudovates arizonae)
Brunner's/American Stick Mantis (Brunneria borealis)
Arizona/Bordered Mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)
Florida/Grizzled Bark Mantis (Gonatista grisea)
Grass Mantis (Thesprotia graminis),

would not require a permit to keep or ship among the continental 48 states.
Movement to or from Alaska,
Hawaii, or any of the territories would require a permit (USDA APHIS PPQ 526 plant pest permit).

Enjoy your mantids!

Cheers,

Wayne Wehling PhD
Senior Entomologist
Plant Protection and Quarantine
Pests, Pathogen, and Biological Control Permits
-- phone/address cut --

He also answered another question besides the basic ones I asked. Any native or naturalized mantid can freely be kept and shipped between the continental 48 states, which is a blessing to keepers, as we can get and keep very region specific mantids. So I'll do more digging and get a longer list that is 100% legal for us keepers.
thumbup.gif

I find the message gave me much hope as I can legally keep my Stagmomantis carolinas and many others I didn't think possible. It is much more than the simple three thought.

I am still dumb founded that you cant keep exotic mantids I thought you never needed a permit this really bums me out

yay AZ unicorn mantis was mentioned
Yeah I tried to make a list of at least the most common, but I imagine there are many others I couldn't remember; however, with his response it doesn't matter thankfully. Although the Arizona unicorn is a more rare/difficult species, it is one of the most exotic I could think of. :D

Latest posts