Introduction and a couple questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red_Leader

Reaction score
Hey guys, nOOb from SoCal (Fullerton) here. I've always been into mantids and have kept them in the rose bush in my front yard, but the other day one of my son's friends brought me one that I'm definately keeping in an enclosure. I'm 99% sure she is an albino, but would like y'all to weigh in if I am wrong. Either way I've never seen one quite like this:

AlbinoMantis.jpg

Anyways, I have been feeding her fruit flies (I have dart frogs so it seemed natural to just give her some of their food) and I am wondering how much/how often I should be feeding? So far I've been shaking ~30 in the enclosure every other day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Dont worry about being a noob, weve all been there. ;) My advice would be give her crickets, she it to big for fruit flies. Generally, mantids need brey about 1/2 to 1/3 their size. Also add sticks diagonally and horizontally if possible. Make sure the reach the top. They need to hang upside down to molt, and Ive had thos butterfly pavilions before and mantids can't grip the top. Other than that, the tank is fine, and thats a very healthy stagmomantis you have. Also, there is no such thing as an albino mantis (at least not htat we have seen), but it has very intersting colors. Unfortunately, I can't Id stagmos well, so someone else sill have to :)

Edit: Feed her an appropriately size cricket depending on the size of her abdomen. If its fat, wait another day before feeding. Generally, feed her 2, 1/3 mantis size crix every other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!.....and it isn't an albino mantis, there isnt such a mantis....just a light colored color morph...

All the best,

Andrew

Welcome. Looks like Stagmomantis sp. Not an albino though.

Interesting, thanks for the info and the welcomes. I was sure it was albino from the red eyes, but I don't know too much about them lol.

@ Mike: You are more than welcome to come see it, I'm right at the 5/91 interchange. ;)

Here's some more better pics:

9-16-12013.jpg

9-16-12009.jpg

9-16-12012.jpg

..and as a bonus, here's a pic I took yesterday at the reptile show in Anaheim:

IMG_0958.jpg

Internet cookie to who can tell me who that is. :ninja: