Is it possible to take your mantis on a plane?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoledougherty

Reaction score
I don't have anyone to take care of my 8 month old tweezer fed chinese mantis. Is it possible to carry him in a compact cage in a carry on without anyone really knowing? Would he make it? Back and forth? Is this illegal? (and crazy?)

Good question. If it's a Chinese, it's probably not illegal. Where are you going? People do bring pets on planes. The only way it might be an issue is if you're leaving the mainland.

I don't think any of the airlines allow insects, as a carry on pet or in their cargo in the United States. Keep in mind if they did allow it you would have to pay the usual in pet incabin fee which I think tends to run between 50$-150$ depending on which airline you go with.

Pre 911 I uses to sneak insects onboard planes as a kid all the time. I wouldn't try it with todays security though...

Last edited by a moderator:
if your really wanting to your best bet my be checking a bag...then you should be good. You going in and out of a bigger airport? interanational?

I have wondered this as well. I want to visit some friends in Costa Rica in the summer and was wondering if I could bring back some Choerododis rhombifolia. Maybe some ootheca might be easier to get through TSA.

I once had a thought of bringing ootheca on the plane.

If your not far I guess I might be able to care for it as I am in LA.

Depends how long you are gone

PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, maybe you could pack it like you're shipping it and put it in a checked bag. International would be harder though. Maybe you could mail it to yourself.

if its internatioal airport would be easier most the time when checked...smaller airports they seem to actualy pulll bags aside and check them

I'm not sure about a lot of airlines to be honest with you. I came home from college this break and I had to take my tarantula with me. I brought her as a carry on and the security knew that it was there and allowed me to take it. However I have read that you need to pay $150 for a pet so I guess security gave me a break. As for your question with the mantids, they will definitely be safe, I've taken countless I. oratoria nymphs as smuggled carry on passengers on the plane and they survive no problem.

PS, I began smuggling mantids POST 911. Including two adult chinese females last spring.

I like the idea of the hair piece. I guess I could find a 3x3 cage since he's barely 2 inches long and strap the cage around my wrist and wear it like an accessory. So Mantidlord, you were able to smuggle yours in a carry on? Awesome! how big were the cages? If I could manage to bring Rudolph I'd rather do it. But it would really be a bummer if they told me at the gate I couldn't take him :( Thanks Hertarem45 for the offer!

No, do not take him on a plane.

They just might flush him down the hole.

Perhaps you both could take a train?

I'm sure you'd both like that, Nicole.

Or maybe a hot air balloon?

And teach your baby how to fly.

I think that he would learn quite soon

From watching all the birds fly by.

A friend once shot her mantis boys

Out of a cannon, with a roar.

they landed with a fearsome noise

But now, alas they are no more.

Is that more verse than you can stand?

It's time for bed, and that's the truth