is this an ok setup for my nymphs? picture included

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am leaving this on alone. i need to set up another. i need more black plastic mesh for the critter keeper i have. where do i get more?

i am leaving this on alone. i need to set up another. i need more black plastic mesh for the critter keeper i have. where do i get more?
Mantisplace...since you're an existing customer. Some hardware stores might carry it, and I've gotten some in the past from places that sell koi and goldfish.

You really don't need the black plastic mesh for them to hang/molt from, but it will help some in an all smooth plastic surface like the inside of that plastic container. As for needing more for the other container (Critter Keeper), I wouldn't worry about it. If you cover the slots with sheer fabric using hot glue, the fabric will be a good source of footing.

The way you have your plastic container set up now looks pretty good. The only concern I see (which actually is a big one) is the type of fabric you are using in place of the lid. What type is it? It doesn't look sheer enough to allow adequate airflow for good ventilation. Ventilation is pretty important in the scheme of things when setting up and modifying containers for mantids.

Hardware stores sell mesh screening, usually of the either aluminum or fiberglass type for repairing screen doors/windows. An easier and less cluttering option that I use would be to roughen up the inside surfaces of the smooth plastic containers with a coarse sandpaper to allow the mantids better grip to molt and move around in general. The downside of this option is that it obscures your view into the container; but I find it well worth the advantages versus disadvantages... easy, cheap, works well, no involved glueing or buying extra screening. ;)

sounds like a plan. the only issue i have is how will i open the kritter keeper to feed and water and clean? what should i put on the bottom?

thanks again.

p.s. the material i used is an old tee shirt that is pretty thin.

sounds like a plan. the only issue i have is how will i open the kritter keeper to feed and water and clean? what should i put on the bottom?thanks again.

p.s. the material i used is an old tee shirt that is pretty thin.
If you insist on using a critter keeper for another ooth you need a way to block all the holes in the lid. I recommend using something else though. But........if you insist on using it you can go to a fabric store, wal mart, etc and buy mesh. It kinda looks like panty hose material. No need to buy that stuff online. It is cheap and found locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i dont want to use the CK but, i have nothing else. i guess i could order another tub from mantisplace. this way i have nothing to worry about.

i need to order ff's which i could order from my local pet store.

ok i worked on both today. i ditched the tee shirt and rubber band, i found some clear fine sceen that i cut to size and hot glued it to a hole i cut out in plastic top.

for the critter keeper, i blocked the vents on top with some more of the clear fine screen and i found some netting at the hardware (thanks) and hot glued it to the top of the tub. (the pic is of me tilting it upwards to show the placement of the ooth on a stick). i put some papertowels on the bottom of the tub for humidity. i will spray both ooths and keep by the radiator. i have chinese mantis. anyone know if they need a cold period first?

also , how do they get up to the top of the container to the netting to molt? let me know what you think. thanks again all.

mantis2010004.jpg

mantis2010005-1.jpg

No worries on how they'll get up to the "molt netting." ;) The nymphs can and will climb and crawl all over the inside surfaces of the containers, even slick plastic, no problem. Modified lid is much better than the previous cloth with rubber band scheme! :D

horray! thanks for all the patience with me. i am NOT handy at all and have no concept of this sort of thing.

my next problem is how to open the critter keeper to feed, water etc..hmmm

horray! thanks for all the patience with me. i am NOT handy at all and have no concept of this sort of thing.my next problem is how to open the critter keeper to feed, water etc..hmmm
When I used a few of them in the past to hatch ooths, I just tapped on the small lid (like a trap door for convenience) that opens on the top to knock as many of the nymphs off and away as possible, then quickly open the little door, mist first (helps in shooing them away from the opening while giving drinks and humidity), then have container of fruit flies at the ready and quickly tap some (lots) in there, then slam the little door shut and hope no one got caught in it. ;)

As far as cleaning the Critter Keeper...... don't worry about it until the nymphs have grown enough to transfer out of the keeper into their own individual containers. There is just no easy or practical way to do it; and I've found although it can get to looking pretty bad on the bottom, I've never had issues because of it. :rolleyes: :p

thanks again Kat. it really sounds simple but i usually make a big deal of these things that are unknown to me. my nature is guess.

i was wondering if the new born nymphs will be able to eat pinhead crickets?

also, when do you think they will be old enough to be let go outside and when in new york would it be feasible to do this? thanks again