Is wild catching avoided in the mantid hobby?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

Numismatica

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a tad of a tarantula hobbyist already and I understand that many people are against taking an invertebrate from its home. I was wondering if this correlates to mantids as well? There’s a native species in my state “The Unicorn Mantis” that I really wish to obtain. Not even sure where to look yet but I live in Arizona so that’s a good start. No matter the reply I will probably continue to look for one unless I find out they are a suffering species, just because me and my friend go night hunting a lot. Maybe one day I will go back and try to breed more. In a long, long time lol.

Greybeard

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in SE Arizona, and also would like to capture some nymphs or find an Ooth or two to breed the Arizona Unicorn Mantis (Pseudovates arizonae). Found an article on the internet called "Keeping Insects," which has some great detail on the Arizona Unicorn Mantis. Description, environment, breeding, captive care, etc. So the author (unnamed) seems either to have done the work, or gotten the data from the person who did. Have some leads on location-nothing solid, yet. Let's talk more if you still have interest.

Greybeard

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
That's great, but I am not ready for adult mantids right yet-just getting re-started. Did you capture these in the wild?
Also it is very hot, even for an Arizona species (103F-106F through next week). Thank you for the offer-much appreciated!

Latest posts