Is Your Female Mated?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times has this happened to you: You put a male and a female mantis together for them to mate, leave for a few hours, and after a while see that the male has been eaten and you panic because you don't know if the female mated or not? Well here's the answer (inspired by when katnapper told me there was no way to tell if her creobroter nebulosa mated before the male was eaten, remember that topic?). After mating, the end of the female's abdomen will be open for a while, which is how you can tell if they mated. I have observed this in chinese mantids, the abdomens are open for a day or two after the intercourse. And there you have it. Also, if the female didn't mate, a week later a male will usually want to mate with her, because once a chinese female of mine ate the poor male, and 5 days later she mated with a different male.

Is that what that was in my european? She didn't eat the male, but i wasnt sure if they finished (kind of interrupted), but her abdomen kept opening and it looked like arms were popping out lol!!! I was like eww gross?

That is true but it no guarantee. In my opinion the only guarantee is when you see them connected. I dont' leave them unsupervised until they are connected and then they are generally loose in a large net cage or a room so there is little to no chance he will be eaten.

Latest posts