ja-da-bait

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how long does it take to get from maggot to pupae to fly ? i think i would prefer to get them at the pupae stage myself, but am curious.

In my experience, they tern from maggot to pupae as little as one or two days once taken out of the fridge and kept warm. It takes another 2 or 3 days for the flies emerge. Not very long, but give or take 2 or 3 days longer than getting the pupae.

how long does it take to get from maggot to pupae to fly ? i think i would prefer to get them at the pupae stage myself, but am curious.

Are the "white fly larvae"/"spikes" the same as blue bottle maggots? :huh:

I may start buying from these guys often if they're that cheap!

let us know what condition they arrive in and how fast. was the shipping bad? i use grubco but it's hard to get them here cool and many pupate before they get to me - especially in the winter months. they suggested that i not order them "cupped" in containers of 100 as they stay cooler all together. i had better luck after that. grubco only ships three days a week and it seems to take forever. an alternative would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the term "white fly larvae" is referring to the color of the maggots. Many fish a man get different colored "Spikes" for the different types of fish or maybe one color works better than the other? But they use food dyes to get the colored maggots and place the dye in the maggots food.

But most if not all "spikes" are blue bottle maggots.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Are the "white fly larvae"/"spikes" the same as blue bottle maggots? :huh: I may start buying from these guys often if they're that cheap!

All the insects I get from them are very alive, except one time. The only reason I'm looking for different seller is because grubco is charging way to much for shipping. I only end up buying 1,000 maggots and some crickets, the next thing I know, i'm spending $50!

I will let everyone know how it terns out. So far, nothing has come in the mail. But they did say on the their website that it might take 2 to 3 days or at worse 5 to 7 days. I hope they dont take too long as I need the maggots/flies.

Thanks again

Mikhail

let us know what condition they arrive in and how fast. was the shipping bad? i use grubco but it's hard to get them here cool and many pupate before they get to me - especially in the winter months. they suggested that i not order them "cupped" in containers of 100 as they stay cooler all together. i had better luck after that. grubco only ships three days a week and it seems to take forever. an alternative would be nice.

I went to the mail box today and found the parcel from JA-DA-bait. I'm very happy, I ordered on Monday and it arrived today (Friday). I only found 10 died maggots out of the 1,000 and all are in one baggy, not bad at all. Give them a go and all I payed was $12 shipped for 1,000 blue bottle maggots. It would be great if some of you can put my name as the reference when buying from them? ;) Thanks!

Just to let everyone know I might start breeding blue bottle flies? I'm working on a clean easy method. But for now I'm very happy to keep on buying from JA-DA-BAIT. This is what I call great service for the money I payed.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Well give them a try when you start buying for your Idolomantis. ;) I've been using crickets for most of my mantis and geckos for the past 6 months, but now with such great prices I can keep well stocked on flies at all times.

I found another website with blue bottle fly maggots for sale. I will have to give them a try sometime as well.

http://www.butterworms.com/page_9.htm

Sure thing. I won't be ordering for another month or so though - not until the Idolomantis get a little bigger. :p

Just want to say, if you're at all in a hurry, don't order from these guys. It's been 6 days and still no word on my order. <_<

Sorry to hear this Andrew! :(

When I did an order with them, I ordered Monday and I got my order Friday, in the mail box. I was happy with their service. The flies hatched out yesterday for the first time. The flies that hatched out are bigger than blue bottles and have no blue color on them. But my mantis loved the ones that hatched out. :)

But dont worry my friend, I will be selling blue bottle flies soon. So if you want I can send you some when needed. I should have some by the end of the month.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Just want to say, if you're at all in a hurry, don't order from these guys. It's been 6 days and still no word on my order. <_<

Next time, I'll definitely order from you instead. I placed my order with them on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have them this coming Monday.

I'm relieved to hear they will turn into good quality flies though. :)

This thread should be moved to the Food and Feeding section since there's so much discussion.

Anyway, I just ordered the $12.75 thing for my friend. Hope the shipping time will be good.

Great, I have lots of maggots of both blue bottle and house flies. By the end of the month I'll start selling. ;)

I think I know why they have not shipped, it could be becuase the weather Is to hot. Maybe they are waiting for it to cool down?

When I start selling the flies I will have two Priority Mail options. #1 being $10 for anything other than flies and #2 $5 for the flies.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Next time, I'll definitely order from you instead. I placed my order with them on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have them this coming Monday.I'm relieved to hear they will turn into good quality flies though. :)

Very nice!

It should come by Friday. They are a bait store, so they do simple packaging. But I'm happy with the service and maggots they offer.

Thanks again

Mikhail

This thread should be moved to the Food and Feeding section since there's so much discussion.Anyway, I just ordered the $12.75 thing for my friend. Hope the shipping time will be good.

If that is the case, just go to your local bait shop and pick them up there without paying for shipping and waiting for warm maggots, everyone has a bait shop, even the smallest towns. ;)

Very true!

Unfortunately the bait stores in my area don't sell flies, but I will be selling them the flies wholesale. ;)

Thanks again

Mikhail

If that is the case, just go to your local bait shop and pick them up there without paying for shipping and waiting for warm maggots, everyone has a bait shop, even the smallest towns. ;)

Yeah, I asked my bait shops too. They don't have blue bottles. :( I found a bait shop that sells wax worms though, which I've used.