Joey, Newbie to the mantis keeping world.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTree

Reaction score
Hi all I’m Joey, I live in holland.

I have a huge love for all insects, they are so fascinating. My all time favorite is of course none other than the Praying Mantis.

I was gifted my first mantis from a friend, a giant Asian mantis, his name is Tea Tree (my 2 year old gave him the name lol). She loves him very much and is incredibly gentle, always has to laugh when he’s crawling on her arms.

My love for mantis keeping grew fast but I wanted to experience it from the very start (tea tree was given to me already semi mature) So I decided to get 2 Wandering Violin Mantis, a male and a female, they are still babies, so beautiful!

Yes so I’ve heard. I’ve done my research, I think enough to take care of them.

I think the most important points is that they like their terrarium relatively dry (around 30-40% humidity) and that they love heat (30+C). I have a lamp rack that attaches to the roof of the terrarium with a daytime heating lamp. I know they will only prey on flying insects mostly moths and flies unless extremely hungry. I have a terrarium that is made of mesh on 3 sides and the roof, the door is glass because I read that they cannot climb smooth surfaces. I’m constantly searching for info though :)

Latest posts