L3 Male or Female?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliman707

Reaction score
The 6th segment line of this E. Macrops is rough and unstraight. The 6th segment lines on the males I have are straight lines and segments seem a little smaller. I can count 7 to 8 segments on both but they dont look the same. Here is a pic.

IMG_0734.jpg

If I had to bet, it would be: female.

What you're pointing out is exactly how I sex L3 S. limbata in that thread I linked earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say male based on what I can see in the pic.

If I had to bet, it would be: female.What you're pointing out is exactly how I sex L3 S. limbata in that thread I linked earlier.
I knew that there was something different when comparing the two mantids but I couldnt quite put my finger on it. Your link showed me what it was. I wish there were more detailed pics with labeling of body parts like the one you put up. I have seached the web looking for details about the sexual organs and how to differentiate between male and female but do to the variety of different species its hard for a beginner such as myself to compare with the species I carry.

I will definetly put up more pics at the next molt. All of them molted last night, except for the only one that Im curious about! But I think that since they all most likely came from the same ooth, that the hopefull female should molt in the next couple days. Thanks again to all of you for your input!

I would say male based on what I can see in the pic.
:lol: that's what you said about my brown L3 limbata "butt" picture...turned out to be a girl!

I knew that there was something different when comparing the two mantids but I couldnt quite put my finger on it. Your link showed me what it was. I wish there were more detailed pics with labeling of body parts like the one you put up. I have seached the web looking for details about the sexual organs and how to differentiate between male and female but do to the variety of different species its hard for a beginner such as myself to compare with the species I carry.
There aren't more pictures because it's a LOT of work! Chasing mantises taking detailed pictures of their butts! Hard work :lol:

Seriously, I think we have enough people with macro lenses in this forum that all of this should be better documented and stickied. I'll try to make more of an effort to document the species that I keep. Maybe we could publish a compendium of sorts...

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally have no issues sexing mantid nymphs and I do see more than six segments.

I normally have no issues sexing mantid nymphs and I do see more than six segments.
Even at L3?

That's one of the main points in my other thread about sexing limbatas. Up to L3, you will see 8 segments on either sex. Paying close attention, one can pic out the differences at L3. Female limbata will not appear to have 6 segments until L4.