L3 Rhombodera Molting Question?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliman707

Reaction score
These are my 1st nymphs so Im pretty new to this stuff. Does anyone know if there is a specific length of time between molts? They molted into L3's 5 or 6 days ago. Does anyone know about when they might do it again?

this is completely random, there's no such thing as specific times. it ranges between 9-14 days or so atleasst at this stage.

When getting bigger the time will increase too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, I appreciate the feedback. I will check out that link right now. I keep fruit flies in with them almost all the time so they stay pretty plump. I dont have a heat pad or anything but it usually around 75-85F. Will those conditions increase growth rate? Any reccomendations?

I just checked out your link, Chun. I will definetly look forward to further additions! While looking at your pics I thought of another question. I know that females have 6 segments in the abdomen and males have 8, but I have found it difficult to tell due to there size. Do I count the very end of the abdomen? I keep counting 6 or 7. If there are 8 will all segments be fairly easy to see?

Sometimes you get mantids from the same ooth where one is two molts ahead of another even though their conditions are the same.

Well that would explain why one is quite a bit bigger than the other. Also considering that I think they are both females but Im still having trouble distinguishing between segments in the abdomen.

Well that would explain why one is quite a bit bigger than the other. Also considering that I think they are both females but Im still having trouble distinguishing between segments in the abdomen.
Let them get some size before you go trying to sex them. Or you can try a magnifying glass.