Legal or illegal in Canada?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omar morsy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the laws are for keeping, breeding, buying and selling praying mantises in Canada?

ive combed the internet looking yet found nothing concrete. 

Thank you

Check out the Regulatory Issues forum. The first couple of posts discuss Canadian regulations. That would be the forum to search. 

Good luck! 

The information for canada is very hard to find but so far as I could tell during my combing (when I lived there) they are illegal besides the few native species. At some point I know I had found a comprehensive list of all animals and the status of importing and all exotic mantises were for "for display only" sort of deal for zoos and the like. Ill see if i can find the link again...

That said, its stupid as none of these species can survive the winters in Canada and tarantulas are legal. You can get Chinese mantis ooths readily from costco and home depot in the spring online for garden pest control but otherwise the options are limited :(

It’s all so ignorant and outdated! Why is there no one challenging these lazy blanket laws?!

is there anything we can do? What good are the Canadian entomologists when laws this stupid are still in place? And it doesn’t surprise me one bit, typical backward outdated Canadian ancient laws! Grrrrr

Im pissed off!

is there any petition we can sign?

It could be worst. You could live in Iceland were reptiles are illegal! Also the few mantises the only exotic pet store here gets are so expensive you would faint to see it :p  (I may have bought them anyway....no regrets!)

But joking aside, I agree with you. Its ridiculous exotic mantises are still illegal in Canada. A while back a few of us tried our best to acquire and breed a few interesting species but we did not make out well. I am sure we were not the first to try nor the last. 

Well I’m def gonna give it a go! First things first, still waiting for the oothecas to hatch! 

I’ll keep ya’ll posted