Legality of Exotic Mantises in California?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafybanana

Reaction score
I was looking on Bugs In Cyberspace and I'm waiting for the Ghost Mantis to be in stock. However, there seems to be quite a gray area regarding the legality of owning an exotic mantis, specifically those from Africa, such as the Ghost Mantis.

Is it legal for me to own a Ghost Mantis in California? I've read reviews on Bugs In Cyberspace and some specified that they live in California. If it isn't legal to be honest I'll probably still purchase exotic mantises as it hasn't appeared to be much of an issue with the website or customers, I'd just like to know. There's a lot of conflicting opinions/statements/information and it'd be nice to sort it out on a more personal level.

I really doubt someone will come knocking on my door, demanding to see a permit. Would it be legal for me to own an exotic mantis with a permit? I've heard it's a really tedious process, so I'm not sure.

Thanks so much!

Im pretty sure its technically "illegal" In the Us itself. But to be honest, it's not an enforced law. No one will do anything about it. 

Even public events like the Reptile Super Show have mantises for sale and nothing is done about it. The local pet stores in California are starting to sell them too.

Latest posts