looks like black tired eyes on my Female hierodula grandis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinder151

Reaction score
My Female falld down about 20-30 CM down into the plastic when i tried to mate them, i have a mesh taped on the wall and they always climb on the very top and when i tried to mate them for about 5 days ago the female Falld down, i checked her at that time and everything were fine, no bleeding or anything i could see, she was also very active because i was playing with her over my sofa for about a hour after this to see if she was hurt, but couldnt see anything. but now the last 3-4 days it looks like black ring around her eyes looks like when a human have been staying up for a long time and have these black tired eyes. is it anything i should be afraid of? she dont want to eat and shes about 2 months into adult stage, ive had no luck with getting the male to jump on her yet, probly getting to old but have another sub adult male waiting.

my Camera isnt the best but hope these is good enough, she have had these eyes all the time the last days since that fall.

Her abdomen is very big so she wasnt able to use her wings when she falled, so now ive started to put a pillow under the mesh if she would fall again.
fm8d2p.jpg
2442zde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ive checked if shes blind, but she can easy see my finger and shes pushing away the dubias im trying to give her

Last edited by a moderator:
She's fine, if she was in the dark, most mantids eye color change darker, and vice versa in the the light.

She's fine, if she was in the dark, most mantids eye color change darker, and vice versa in the the light.
its not dark in the room i have them in, and no other mantis have the eyes like her. its only her, and its like that 24/7 from the time i turn the light of til the time i turn it on. wasnt like this before the fall.

i think there is something wrong with the female, i was just gonna turn on the lights and wake em up for the morning, and i saw the female laying on her back on the ground close to the flower. so i picked her up and checked her, i see nothing other then that she have problem in holding her self up when shes standing up in my hand its like the abdomen might be to heavy for her. but when i put her back ontop of the cage then she managed to hold her self ontop of the cage without falling down. but her eyes are much much darker then it was before, checked yesterday before i turned off the lights and her eyes have become more darker then before, its like the whole eyes are turning black.

I've noticed that right to the end of some of my older mantises lifespans their eyes day/night darkening does not clear completely. I've even had one or two that ended up with pitch black eyes for the last stint of their lifespan.

Yeah my female is dying, shes very weak right now, shes not even trying to climb ontop of the lid anymore, just staying on the bottom of the cage, she let me put her on her back and check her and i found something grey/black looking thing on her abdomen.
i put some honey on it, but its probly to late since shes allready this weak, Cant take picture of the abdomen right now because of the honey, but its like a grey/white/black looking thing on her abdomen looks like a bruise :/

a wound on her abdomen but shes dead now, but maybe anyone know what caused this? first black eyes then i find this bruise on the abdomen today, didnt see anything on her yesterday but today i saw this bruise then a few hours later shes dying, still havent moved herself on a few hours -
ae4my1.jpg

2w5rmtz.jpg

I'm sorry Sindre, I have no idea what happened, I've never seen that before. How old was she? It is possible that she just got too old and literally deteriorated.