Loooong time away. Anyone have any Orlando leads?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulturette

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I pop in every few months to binge read but I almost never post. Right now I have five ghosts and a flower mantis. 

I'm going to Disney World next month on vacation for a few days with the family. 

Does anyone have any tips on mantis hunting in the area? I searched for "Orlando" in the search and found an old user talking about a user selling mantises to a pet store in Orlando but they don't say which one and they haven't logged on in seven years! Frustrating. I was so excited when I read that, only to be disappointed. 

If anyone knows any parks I can find them in, or local stores that sell them, please let me know. I know mantises live there from online but supposedly mantises live in Miami too and I've never seen one down here in the wild :p  So I'd love some specific areas to comb. Or at the very least a confirmation from the locals that it's possible. 

@vulturette Stores are really hit and miss, depending on availability and demand if there is any. Also in seven years it is likely that pet store in the post no longer even exists, much less has any mantids in stock.

The more commonly found mantid discuss from Florida is likely the Florida Bark mantis (Gonatista grisea). There have been posts from a few members finding them too, perhaps it will help you find some too. Here is one about where they found them, and warning about the state laws on keeping them from state parks which is not allowed (and more details which I do not recommend).

Latest posts