Lychas tricarinatus.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budwing

Reaction score
A parthogenic scorpion. This ones only a L2 at the moment.

20190922143718.JPG

Frightens me too. Im very careful around this girl. It has mild venom but I dont want to ever find out firsthand.

Just use common sense and exercise caution and always remember to never ever use your bare hands. Tweezers or tongs are always a safer option.

Just use common sense and exercise caution and always remember to never ever use your bare hands. Tweezers or tongs are always a safer option.
Thats it. Your only going to get stung if your doing something silly. This little one isnt too bad, she is pretty melow. I had another one of the same species before that would have stung in a second. They can be very fiesty.  I have a rule not to handle anything that can make you scream with pain or very sick. Its not worth it. Tweasers catch cups and secure lockable lids to prevent escapees are a must with the cool but nasty type critters I keep.

Looks good. I learned the hard way with scorpions always use tall sided enclosures and always have the enclosure inside a bigger enclosure when the lids off. Learned the hard way with an adult leiurus quinquestriatus. It managed to pole volt itself out by means I can only describe as magic. Before I could even get a cup in my hand it was under the baseboard and in the wall to never be seen again. 

Looks good. I learned the hard way with scorpions always use tall sided enclosures and always have the enclosure inside a bigger enclosure when the lids off. Learned the hard way with an adult leiurus quinquestriatus. It managed to pole volt itself out by means I can only describe as magic. Before I could even get a cup in my hand it was under the baseboard and in the wall to never be seen again. 
WOW, I would have gassed the house.

Even under lock and key enclosures I wouldn't keep death Stalkers. Their way too hot for me. I lost a dwarf scorpion from what I thought was a locked tub. Never saw it again either. Checked everywhere with the black light but it never turned up. Thank God it was a harmless type. I wouldn't sleep if I lost something deadly.

That scorpion in the picture died from what looked like a mismolt. One of the breeders said because their parthenogenetic they tend to be weaker than other species of scorpion.

Under normal circumstances if you do everything right and use the proper tools theres no reason someone should get stung... but sometimes things happen and people make mistakes like I did lol. That is possible with parthenogenesis I guess. The only scorpions I’ve never had any luck keeping were Tityus stigmurus. Maybe that’s why.