Mantids confiscated?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would! I would! Do you deliver? We're talking crack cocaine, though, right? I don't want none of that crystal meth! :lol: :p
Phil, you realy need to get out more.

don't you know that 4 out of 5 dentists think meth is where it's at. or was it that some gum would help clean your teeth? :unsure:

and why does that stupid song "bad boys" keep screaming in my head while I read this thread. :lol:

Harry

I most certainly do not write "live insects" on the box. Sixteen years at UPS shows that the less attention a box draws from the 20 or so sets of eyes and hands that it will pass through en route, the better. Not to mention all the supervisors and their supervisors shuffling around with only curiosity and control issues to keep their non-Union hands busy! ;)

As for Egyptian mantises in Canada, the idea that these are legal because they are found in a few local pet stores (undoubtedly served by a local hobbyist), while all other exotics are forbidden is in opposition to common sense twice over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to be funny about the forum thing, but guess you don't realize it. I really doubt anyone cares that a person has a few mantids that are non native. The forum is public, all it takes is a quick registration to read what everyone says.

You stated they were legal, however you do not have any proof. You are just going off of what a shop owner is telling you. Of course they are going to tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale. If I was selling crack and told you it was the only legal drug would you believe me? Of course not. ;)
Interesting point however I would point out that dealing mantids is miniscule in comparison to dealing crack.

It's the pet stores responsibility to sell what's legal and even if they don't I would receive no penalty , given petland is pretty established and has permits. I reckon they'd be the ones who would get into trouble.

So even if they aren't legal I hardly think it would cause me any troubles.

Hello All,

I had a box confiscated once with some Idolos, and they were destroyed and I was fined. This was many moons ago. So there are some random checking post at the airport with the beagel patrol, smelling for anything organic. This is mainly for International mail.

Now about domestic mail, well I heard of a case were a box send via Fedex, was for some reason opened, and they discover some tarantulas and MANTIDS within the shipment, now the sender is animal certified sender, so tarantulas were ok, but the supervisor still called Fish and WIldlife or Agricultural department about the mantids.

Anyway this particular dealer with a store front, was visited by the authorities, not only fish and wildlife one day, but a couple days after APHIS, showed at their doors.

He was told NOT TO SELL MANTIDS as well as some other roaches besides the ones on their OK list to own.

So good luck to everyone, perhaps one day you too, will receive a letter or a visit from the bug police to get an statement from you, about your pets.

regards to all

francisco

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/301282

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Operation-Spiderman-German-Sven-Koppler-Arrested-By-US-Authorities-Over-Tarantula-Spider-Smuggling/Article/201012115847287?f=rss

interesting link for you all to read , majority of my tarantulas came from this guy until he was set up by the US fish and wildlife agents , i know its not mantids but i think its some what relevant to the topic , he was selling captive breed mexican red kness (brachypelma smithi, altho that video from fox in the link shows a mexican flame knee in the report not a red knee) , without cites papers which in fairness wouldnt of cost that much to get . so dont think the authorities wont try catch even small time importers or sellers of illegal inverts , me personally id never ship any illegal invert outside europe :whistling:

Yeah, I saw that early in the year,but never did find out what his sentence was He might be being held in a Federal prison "pending sentencing".

Sven used to be one of the darlings of Arachnoboards, but if the news report is even fairly accurate, he sold over a quarter of a million dollars worth of spiders; I don't call that "small time". He was also dealing in protected species..

I was ordering mantids from a gal in the states. They were supposed to arrive in California. She told me that she no longer puts live insects or anything of the sort to indicate what the package contains because one of her customers had his mantids arrive dead. The post office had killed them and then wrote a note on the box that mantids are illegal to be shipped. Since then, she does not indicate what she is shipping and has had no other problems. I canceled the order because I was ordering some expensive mantids and did not want to lose my 45 dollars because of some jerks at the post office.

Im pretty sure our government has more problems than to worry about than mantids. On a importance scale mantids or paying debt.......well nevermind mantids are probably more important, lmao.

just put fragile on the box and when shipping to the ups just dont say anything about whats in the box if its mantids and they usually wont do anything unless you say something that would raise suspicions its best to remember the golden rule that says "silence is golden!"

correct to massaman. They really dont have any business asking whats in the box. Just tell them personal items.

Label it "Trojan twister" LOL sorry couldn't help myself, the commercial was just on and it makes me laugh every time lol.. I normally just write "live insects" or "feeder crickets" or "harmless lizard" ...

This forum cracks me up, it's so illegal in "what ways" ? :shifty:

this thread in no way states or implies me having illegal mantids.

The two I do have are egyptian , and my query's were in regards to HOW someone would even know you have them.
Easy- you're posting about it on a public forum. Though, like you, I can't imagine why anyone would waste their time confiscating a bug.

Hate to bring it up again and be annoying, but i was looking through maryland exotic pet laws, and it talks bout many kinds of insects being banned but no where in there does it say i need a permit, nor am i not allowed to keep a praying mantis from a different continent.

So does that mean i am fine with them?

=P

I doubt anyone is going to be seaching for non native insects but a package could be opened for other reasons. Im not sure if there are random searches but I know that some adult male mantises are very active at night (or when in the dark) and a mantis that is tapping or scratching might be confused with the sound of a package TICKING :nuke: which might get the box searched.

Look at it this way..... You dont need a PERMIT if it is ILLEGAL. You only get CAUGHT if someone FINDS it.... and what YOU dont know, wont hurt THEM.

Serious, do you think we sell anything illegal on the internet. LMAO :stuart:

Whats difficult for me to believe,is our government allows fish to be importated from So.East Asia which of course,there is high stake betting,there is even forums like this one.Evidently someone is making a good deal of money in this,and they basically cater to an ethnic group.We just want our mantids give them our best,even love them I do,check out the bette forum if you get the chance,it speaks for itself

Honeybees have been shipped by the u.s. post office for over 100 years. Congress, via the agricultural lobbyists has made sure that shipping harmless, beneficial agricultural insects has remained legal as it is so vital to rural beekeepers.

Mantis are generally covered under the honeybee umbrella- so are lacewings,ladybugs, predatory mites and nematodes, mason bees and bumblebees.

The precedence has held so far, but that doesn't mean stupidity on someones part couldn't attract negative attention.

Support right to farm and urban farming regulations in your area. Support Your local beekeepers. Support usark and other groups dedicated to preserve our right to be responsible animal keepers and breeders.

Latest posts