Mantids drinking

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_h

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Do mantids need regular access to water drops or is it only an occasional thing? Does it vary by species?

I guess I'm wondering if the water content of crickets is enough to prevent dehydration.

I have my D.dessicata in a divided aquarium and in a plastic tank, so i can make water droplets on the walls if needed when I spray them. The humidity is high 70% constantly, bumped to 90ish immediately after spraying.

If they need water drops places for drinking, do i have to do it right next to where they are hanging out or will they move to the drops if they want them?

Thanks for reading and for any advice, this forum is great! 

Cat :)

I just make a habit of misting lightly once a day. Usually right before I head to bed. 

You could try a day or two with just the water in the food, but I would mist after that and see if they drink. That would tell me they are thirsty and not getting enough. 

Many insects can be masters of water conservation, given their small size and unpredictable environments.

I figure water is free, and many mantis especially can expect dew on leaves every morning, so why be stingy? 

Awesome Ok :) I'll give them a spray down every day or every 2nd day.

Also, is it ok to get some of the spray on the mantids themselves or should I avoid that? I use water that is room temp or slightly warmer. I wonder would they drink droplets on their own bodies like some snakes do?

I've noticed mine will stop and clean their feet if they walk through the drops. I also put drops on my finger when I have them out to play. Sometimes they will drink from my finger when I touch the drop to their mouth. Very cool to watch. You should avoid spraying them directly. 

Denise 

My dessicatas like to drink, not nearly as much as truncatas but they don't mind being sprayed at like some mantids do. What I do to find out if a mantis is thirsty is I spray lightly and if it starts to drink I add a bit more so there are nice big droplets for them to drink from. If they seem to be preparing for molt try not to spray on the mantis I heard it can make their skin stuck. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts