Mantis and Red light?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulturette

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this! The container I have my two ghosts in is too small (they are only L3) to use a mat heater safely, and I dont have a good way to use heating lamps at a safe enough distance to get the right temperature. I've been housing them under a desk lamp during the day, and shutting it off at night. My family would not appreciate me turning up the heat for the whole house for my mantids, and I can't afford a space heater I'm only going to need to use a few times a year (I'm in south florida).

The weather since I got them has been good enough at night, but this weekend the temps are going to drop below the mid sixties, and that can't be good! I heard somewhere that mantises can't see red light, is that true? If they can't then I assume I can use one of them to heat them during the night this winter? I can't sleep with my current heating solution on, but I assume a red light would be easier on me.

If I was reading something wrong and that is all bull, what do you think I should do for the few nights I will need to heat them? Should I just figure out a ceramic bulb set up?

Sorry this is so long, I'm such a worried new mom!

Generally the house is warmer in the winter than outside, but not by much really. Crappy insulation.

Latest posts