mantis trying to eat itself?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erin

Reaction score
Hi there
First time mantis owner here. My timor shield mantis (rhombodera kirbyi) grabbed its abdomen with both forelimbs and started to eat it as though it were prey! I managed to prize him off himself. I've had it since January (its about L5). Any info/advice appreciated!

Thank you!

sorry for bad images - i dont know if you can see but his abdomen has gone a weird shape. his right eye has also gone a funny colour but i dont know if thats just because its sunny? hes just not looking his usual self :(

1680878571069.png
1680878628421.png

It's time to move to larger prey. At L5 it should be eating blue bottle flies. I would avoid using wild caught grass hoppers as a main staple because there is a risk of parasites/pesticides. This may not have anything to do with the current issue, but it's worth mentioning.

It's time to move to larger prey. At L5 it should be eating blue bottle flies. I would avoid using wild caught grass hoppers as a main staple because there is a risk of parasites/pesticides. This may not have anything to do with the current issue, but it's worth mentioning.
They're not wild caught don't worry! I buy them from a bug food supplier (Monkfield). So yeah, I think he's sick but I'm not sure what to do with him now. I've heard things about feeding honey from a cotton bud, is this something i should try? thanks :)

They're not wild caught don't worry! I buy them from a bug food supplier (Monkfield). So yeah, I think he's sick but I'm not sure what to do with him now. I've heard things about feeding honey from a cotton bud, is this something i should try? thanks :)
Honey has anti-bacterial properties yes, but they're not going to help with a mantis that's trying to eat himself.

Honey has anti-bacterial properties yes, but they're not going to help with a mantis that's trying to eat himself.
i think he may have an infection unfortunately :( this was him today. he is just so lethargic. if he continues like this, is the most humane thing to do just to put him in the freezer?
1680983038543.png
1680983018372.png

i think he may have an infection unfortunately :( this was him today. he is just so lethargic. if he continues like this, is the most humane thing to do just to put him in the freezer? View attachment 20958View attachment 20957
Dude, he looks terrible. I would just give him a sip of water and place him in the freezer. There's no coming back from that.

Latest posts