Mantisplace

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 KevinsWither 37

Replied: July 20

$40 shipped priority mail.

[email protected]

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: Thursday at 05:40 PM

Kevin really dissapointed with the sale, your ad said 1 week old, this ooth is at least 2 months old. I have had litereally thousand of ghost ooths in 13 years and I know fresh from old. all ghost ooths are laid a light green and darken with age. these are being returned tomorrrow and I expect a quick refund. Really can't believe you would send a seasoned veteran mantis keeper old ooths.

Quote Edit

KevinsWither

Report reply

KevinsWither 37

Replied: Thursday at 06:02 PM

But I'll send a refund like you requested once I get the ooth back. And the ooths are four weeks old btw. Sent the wrong ooths too so I apologize for that.

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: Thursday at 07:37 PM

I wrote return to sender, unless u want to pay shipping for new box?

Quote Edit

KevinsWither

Report reply

KevinsWither 37

Replied: Thursday at 07:44 PM

No old box is fine. Like I said I apologize for that.

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: Friday at 06:25 AM

Well I hope it gets back to you ok as I do not want to pay shipping with something that is not my fault. Sending today.. if they dont take it I will ask for you to pay shipping. problem is how do I prove I sent it back with no new postage on it? I think this is a lot of trouble for not getting what I paid for.

Quote Edit

KevinsWither

Report reply

KevinsWither 37

Replied: Friday at 10:30 AM

You can reseal the package same way as you got it. And just drop it off at post office maybe.

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: Saturday at 08:35 PM

check the tracking info, it is on the way back to you.

Quote Edit

KevinsWither

Report reply

KevinsWither 37

Replied: Saturday at 08:50 PM

When I receive it in good condition I’ll refund you. Also I have a fresh ooth that my other female laid, I’ll send a photo to you.

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: Sunday at 06:22 PM

they are in same condition I received them in and put in the box.

Quote Edit

KevinsWither

Report reply

KevinsWither 37

Replied: 11 hours ago

Hello. I did receive the box and no ooth or the container was inside. I have proof too that you just took out the container too.

I wont be refunding you as part of the terms was you return the ooth back to me.

Yes I did send you a couple of older ones (3-4 weeks) so you have the chance of nymphs quicker. That was my fault. However, I repeat, you didn’t send the ooth back. Therefore I can’t honor your refund. And I got the box back today.  

hibiscusmile

Report reply

hibiscusmile 455

Replied: 1 hour ago

you better look again, the ooths are in there and packed in cotton so they did not get hurt on trip, the container you put them in was allowing them to bounce back and forth and the old stick one was on broke off, so I put them in the material that comes in pillows and Yen Saw uses to protect ooths. and paypal will refund me if you dont. why would I keep the ooths, you just said yes you  sent old one so you oviously you see the old ooths. I have been patient, but it ends here.

Quote Edit

Well I am the one scammed again. Notice here in his message reply "

Replied: Thursday at 06:02 PM

But I'll send a refund like you requested once I get the ooth back. And the ooths are four weeks old btw. Sent the wrong ooths too so I apologize for that."

Did he really think I fell for that? What kind of person tries to scam someone on this forum?  Here is the pictures of the ooths he sent me and now wants to say he sent those by mistake??? You decide who is scamming who.  Photo showing his ooths an the fresh 1 week old ooth of mine. Also where is the image Kevin uploaded? Why did he take it down? Maybe he was showing the old ooths he really got back?

IMG_20190711_162032869 (450x800).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions, people don't want to pay more for the ice packs and insulation, They want it cheap and shipping keeps going up at the post office. They find shipping cost more than the items. The usps offers the small flat rate box as the fastest way to deliver where regular non priority is cheaper, but they take up to 9 days to deliver so no one uses that for live feeders.

I've ordered several times from Rebecca, and each time has been a great experience. My most recent order arrived today. The shipping was extremely fast and everything was packaged amazingly. My orchid nymphs are happy and healthy!! I will definitely continue to order from Rebecca in the future! 

I am very sorry to say that the last order I received from MantisPlace will be my last. 

I had ordered 1,000 BB fly spikes with the feeder shipping cold pack and insulation. I'm not exactly what went wrong during the shipping/packaging process but this isn't the first time an incident like this has happened. Many of the pupated larvae (which I have no issue with- them being pupated) had somehow gotten out and into the bag, box, and all throughout the packaging. I'm not sure what exactly caused this, but it seems like there was also liquid or something moist that caused the paper bag to rip and dissolve, which also released a foul odor. 

As I had written, this isn't the first time this incident has happened. However the high hatch rate had me returning again, but what I received was unacceptable, and for the second time. 

I invite Rebecca to rethink her packaging, perhaps using a fully sealed plastic container would work better. I have ordered flies from many other sellers, and have never had this issue anywhere else.

I recently ordered our hymenopus coronatus from Rebecca. The shipping was prompt and the line of communication was great! When recieved the mantis seemed to be doing fine after a two day transit. Due to forces unknown (likely guessing rough travels due to usps) our mantis was reluctant to eat, drink, or move. Conversed with Rebecca to figure out if this mantis was soon to be in molt. After a few days of leaving it undisturbed I noticed the pigmentation of the eyes had gone black. Sadly the mantid had passed. I spoke with Rebecca about the situation with no intention of seeking a refund or replacement. She did not hesitate to offer a replacement at the cost of shipping (justified as shipping is not cheap) all she needed was proof of the deceased mantid.

Two days later (today) our new hymenopus coronatus arrived. This time much more lively and actively ready to eat and drink. It is currently settling in to its new abode.

Rebecca seems to be a very genuine and honest person and I would be extremely happy to do business with her again. To extend such a gracious offer on a rather expensive investment was greatly appreciated. Our family is very happy with the mantid and we look forward to doing business with her again!

alrighty, gonna try to make a very honest review.

So I have ordered flies and supplies from mantisplce for a while now, ordering monthly. The flies started ok, but the way they are shipped are very dissapointing. They are shipped in a very very small mesh bag. Although this sometimes works, in the summer the flies often hatch in transit, and the bag can be an issue if that happens. I have had flies escape from the bag before.

As far as the flies themselves go, compared to most places, the hatch rate is much lower than what you would see with more expensive flies. You get what you pay for basically.

Now that the flies have been bred for so long, half of them will be much smaller then normal. My blue bottle flies are about the size of a house fly (If even that.)

Moving on, the supplies are fine not much to complain about here. The deli cups dont fit perfect but that's to be expected with most 32 oz deli cups since they are a pain sometimes. No real complaints here.

As for pros, prices of feeders and supplies are very cheap. She ships on time and gives you the correct order (from my experience)

But overall I am very disappointed and will not be ordering here in the future.

In reply, my flies are sources from the same people everyone orders from. Most people do not consider the pupae is live and must breath. Other than the maggots themselves which can be sent in plastic bags, I ship them in the vented deli cups to give them a fair chance of living. Those cute little bags are what Chuck from Spiderpharm recommends as this way they get plenty of air. As for escaping I double tie the  bags. I can't do more than that.

You say you get what you pay for? US mantis buy the same flies and theirs are overpriced. I don't sell mine at the price he does because I want a fair price for the items I sell. I lower my prices so others can afford to buy them. It's funny in 15 years I have just this last year raised mine by a few cents.  So you are getting what you paid for here in honest prices. His are what 12.50 for 500? Mine are 7.25 for 500.  So he gets them as do everyone selling blue bottle flies from the same place. You say the flies have been bred for so long they are half the size? I told you there was a batch that I got that were undersized, they have been told not to send them again.

For the mantis, I have very few complaints. I use insulation in the summer and winter and without you listening to some gossip from people who are just plain jealous my feedback speaks for itself. Also I sell to hundreds of people and they are not all on this forum. I find it funny that that opinion was allowed on this post as you haven't purchased any from me, but yet you spread gossip. 

I also purchase my cups and lids like everyone else, so if there is a problem with them, address the manufacture.  

I’ve ordered from Rebecca twice and she has been very responsive and easy to work with. I will continue to order through her site.

I purchased one Ghost ootheca and received two! The first one hatched 24 nymphs just after 2 weeks of arriving. The second one hatched 22 nymphs today, and it’s been just under 4 weeks. I’m super happy about the purchase. I ordered some house flies and bottle flies at the same time that arrived just fine.

I ordered some feeder insects and supplies last week that have yet to arrive (tracking says it should get here tomorrow). I’m totally used to shipping taking forever because I live in Alaska…so not a big deal. The package took several days to get sent out due to being over weight for what I had paid in shipping and she had to contact me for the extra shipping cost (it clearly states on her website that this might happen so I was not surprised). She let me know immediately that it might be an issue but took a couple days to get back with an updated cost. Depending on how often this happens, stamps.com or something similar would help expedite the process. If it is rare occurrence probably don’t need to bother.

Overall, I am happy with my experiences and will make future orders.

Not to be mean… but I order from you all the time and you never even throw in anything for free or extra. I just feel bummed cause you seem to always help everyone else out but doesn’t matter how many times I ordered from you and gave your business money I never seem to get anything in return.
It seems to me, freebies are a bonus not an expectation.

the entitlement! smh
freebies are often the result of having excess stock. we don't always have excess on hand!
Entitlement is never a good thing but I don’t think this comes from a place of entitlement but just misplaced disappointment. You also may want to edit your message before Rebecca chucks soap at you.

@mantiskinganthony Receiving free things are always a joy and surprise and I understand your disappointment.
However, whoever you are purchasing from does not owe you anything nor should you expect anything. Expect what you pay for and if there is extra, simply be grateful. Business owners only have so much stock

@hibiscusmile I’ve always had a pleasant experience with your products. I don’t believe there’s much reason to worry about this conversation either. <3

okay dr. phil I can have my own opinion. It’s 2022 get over yourself. if you don’t like what someone says just mind your business no one was talking to you either.
Ehhh I wasn’t trying to come off as condescending because I really do get it. I did not intend to put you on the defense. I only posted because I was trying to keep an arguement from happening (not that it worked). Its just you’re buying from a small business owner who only has so much and has other customers. I really think you never getting any extra is simply coincidence.

You do realize the mods are going to rip into you for using a slur right? That’s also my friend. Even if they could have reacted a bit better to your first comment, there was no excuse for insulting them. Ooths are never guaranteed to hatch either although I do not know if you both discussed any refunding. Also agentA, maybe consider in the future laying out all of your terms (like refunding or LAG).

Let this end here. This thread is purely for reviews and has gotten out of control. I imagine my paragraphs are annoying too.

Last edited:
Ehhh I wasn’t trying to come off as condescending because I really do get it. I did not intend to put you on the defense. I only posted because I was trying to keep an arguement from happening (not that it worked). Its just you’re buying from a small business owner who only has so much and has other customers. I really think you never getting any extra is simply coincidence.

You do realize the mods are going to rip into you for using a slur right? That’s also my friend. Even if they could have reacted a bit better to your first comment, there was no excuse for insulting them. Ooths are never guaranteed to hatch either although I do not know if you both discussed any refunding. Also agentA, maybe consider in the future laying out all of your terms (like refunding or LAG).

Let this end here. This thread is purely for reviews and has gotten out of control. I imagine my paragraphs are annoying too.
ok lemme clarify a few things
1: I mailed Anthony a B. mendica ooth. Now, for those who are not aware, I generally breed my females and keep the first ooth or 2 from EACH female. That way, if some fail to hatch, I know to refund or replace the ooths that I sell. B. mendica, a species that lays an ooth a week, is no exception to this. Generally, if the ooths I mail fail to hatch but mine hatch just fine, either the buyer incubated them like a crackhead or something went wrong in shipment. This can be the case in the dead of winter or right now when it's 92757109 degrees outside, but I sent Anthony the ooth in like April
2: my ooths all hatched out just fine.
3: Anthony never told me anything about the ooth I sent his way until this morning when he sent me a very abusive message saying only 1 nymph came out. had he sent me a message earlier, like back in May or June, I could have addressed it (more than likely would sent a replacement ooth or something depending on the circumstances). I'm usually more generous than I'm obliged to be, and had it not been for the highly inflammatory PM I got this morning, I'd gladly have sent a free ooth when my current (presub/sub) babies matured/bred simply because the females tend to produce so many babies I don't need them

so I apologize for saying his criticism of Rebecca was entitled, but what people need to understand is that we often send free stuff when we have extra stuff to send. Remember that insects, even in captivity, have boom-bust population dynamics. I'll have a few months where I have a dozen nymphs or adults and then suddenly in like a week's time, 3-4 times that will hatch and grow. When this happens, I often send out extra stuff, but it's not going to be every single time I mail stuff out! I'm sure Rebecca is in a similar boat
the pettiness needs to stop. we are in this journey together people!

I had reported this thread to the amins whoever they are and I am sorry it is still going on. Like Agent A said we are together and we do not wish to upset anyone. There are very few people who like insects like we do so lets just be friends. I do not want to lose a customer because of hard feelings. If he will message me I am sure I can make him happy. I never wish to hurt anyones feelings.

Dude ur still going. Shut up this had nothing to do with you. I’m not editing shit for mods. I really don’t give a flying f***” they can delete me. Stop Getting into peoples business cause you got nothing better to do. I’m sorry that you have no life and no friends.
literally by definition, the forum is about getting in other people's business
u make your buisiness known on here

I had reported this thread to the amins whoever they are and I am sorry it is still going on. Like Agent A said we are together and we do not wish to upset anyone. There are very few people who like insects like we do so lets just be friends. I do not want to lose a customer because of hard feelings. If he will message me I am sure I can make him happy. I never wish to hurt anyones feelings.
Let me know if you want me to edit my previous post Rebecca. I kind of started this whole thing.