Mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mex_Ghost

Reaction score
I have a pair of Archispirostreptus gigas millipedes, I have seen them mating, or I think they did it, but I´m not sure how many babies to expect, and how many times they can....mate and have babies in their life.

I have seem the male going after the female for several weeks, but now I have seen them like in the pictures 3 days in a row......

mil-1.jpg

mil_5.jpg

mil_4-1.jpg

Wow! Awesome pics! That must be the spermatophore between them? I love the little pads on their legs and the notches on the ends of the body segments. I wonder if the notches show how many times they've molted. Very cool post.

Wow! Awesome pics! That must be the spermatophore between them? I love the little pads on their legs and the notches on the ends of the body segments. I wonder if the notches show how many times they've molted. Very cool post.
+1.

Sorry that I'm clueless about millipedes and unable to answer any of your questions.

But nice job on the macro shots! Good luck, I'm curious to hear the scoop of how things develop over time (eggs? etc.)

Thanks all,

I thought it was kind spermatophore in there too, but in that time I really didn´t know how to name it :p . Also I realize the pads in their legs until these pics!!!.

I haven´t bought the Orin´s book, so everything is new for me. As I read in the internet in the Care Sheets (they help, but don´t clear all my doubts, and seems that all are the same :( ), They eat vegetables and some fruits, so feeding them is easy. They prefere mature vegetables like cucumbers.

Once Lars Eifeld told me that these millipedes needed some time in a dry enviroment for mating them, so I kept them dry for some months, but I started to mist the sustrate, and after that I saw them in action, I´m not sure if it was just a casuality or the dry period worked :p .

I have these millipedes at my work, so I saw them from time to time walking around, sometimes (most of the time) are sleeping, I think I read they are nocturnal bugs, I love to watch them walking they are huge!!!! I can´t get use to see them, every time I watch them walking is like the first time.

saludos