Mediums for Houseflies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wolven

bug-cats or cat-bugs? That is the real question.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just thought I’d see what you guys recommend for feeding houseflies. I’ve got some pupae on the way and figured I need to make/look for a good medium.

I feed the adults a nectar, pangea crested gecko diet, bee pollen, and I provide fresh water and a maple syrup solution

yes, it's a lot but I emerge out thousands at once and I like them nice and gut-loaded. You can probably get away with nectar, water, and CGD

the CGD is really good for imparting proteins and vitamins into the flies, i make it slightly runnier than what i use for the cresties. Usually, I make a batch of the CGD, pour out the gecko portion, then add a little water to the remainder and stir well before doling it out to my flies

the flavor isn't important but the apricot and fig seem to be favorites!

I sent you nectar concentrate already but here's how I make it:

1 part honey (REAL honey like from an apiary not the cr@p you buy in a grocery store), 1 part molasses, a tiny splash of soy sauce, and then I cut this mix with fructose until it's taffy textured. I add about a quarter teaspoon per cup water to make the mixture (or 1g per 100mL water). the exact concentration isn't important if you provide fresh water too, but these love to drown so shove cotton balls into the water! 

the CGD is really good for imparting proteins and vitamins into the flies, i make it slightly runnier than what i use for the cresties. Usually, I make a batch of the CGD, pour out the gecko portion, then add a little water to the remainder and stir well before doling it out to my flies
What exactly is CGD? 

crested gecko diet ;)
Interesting. The internet hasn't exactly given me any sort of brand on what you're talking about so may I ask where you buy it? 

1 part honey (REAL honey like from an apiary not the cr@p you buy in a grocery store), 1 part molasses, a tiny splash of soy sauce, and then I cut this mix with fructose until it's taffy textured. I add about a quarter teaspoon per cup water to make the mixture (or 1g per 100mL water). the exact concentration isn't important if you provide fresh water too, but these love to drown so shove cotton balls into the water! 
I do know a local place to buy honey so that's not a problem. I was wondering about the mix you sent me though. How long does it last? 

the stuff I sent you should last indefinitely if kept cool and dry. its sugar content preserves it ;)
Oh good. I'm definitely going to make more though since I don't know how long it will last me. I can't raise houseflies due to my parents so I'm stuck with ordering pupae for now. I don't know if L4 is a good place for a Creobroter to start on houseflies. She likes the d. hydei enough but I'd like to move her up. 

Oh good. I'm definitely going to make more though since I don't know how long it will last me. I can't raise houseflies due to my parents so I'm stuck with ordering pupae for now. I don't know if L4 is a good place for a Creobroter to start on houseflies. She likes the d. hydei enough but I'd like to move her up. 
I had a hard time getting my eggs to hatch. i do not know if spider pharm irradiates their pupae or something to sterilize the adults, but maybe the ones from Rebecca will be different