MINARD'S INSECTARIUM!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool! what is your lucanus setup? i SUCK at rearing even capreolus

can u give me step by step instructions on how to setup and rear all stages of lucanus capreolus?

also, do u rear saturniid moths??

If you guys wanna keep lucanus adults... I suggest you do this:

Put in 1 inch of ground up substrate made of decayed oak or another hardwood (and make sure it is cleaned either by cooking, boiling, or freezing). THEN insert a log that is a good 4 inches long or MORE... make sure it's 2-5 inches wide. AND make sure it's hardwood, preferably oak. After you do this fill the cage with a few more inches of substrate... at least cover 3/4 of the log you put in but REALLY the best idea is to bury it with an inch of substrate over the top of the log even. Then feed them banana. TADA!!! This is for females to lay eggs btw... the submerged log.

NOw for lavae... make a cup full of substrate with a screen lid ruberbanded to it. TADAAAAA!!!

For elaphus... after it is a BIG and ready L3... put clay in the bottom for a pupal cell.. Not necessary for LC though. just LE.

And no, no saturnid moths. But I'd love to get some.

If you guys wanna keep lucanus adults... I suggest you do this:

Put in 1 inch of ground up substrate made of decayed oak or another hardwood (and make sure it is cleaned either by cooking, boiling, or freezing). THEN insert a log that is a good 4 inches long or MORE... make sure it's 2-5 inches wide. AND make sure it's hardwood, preferably oak. After you do this fill the cage with a few more inches of substrate... at least cover 3/4 of the log you put in but REALLY the best idea is to bury it with an inch of substrate over the top of the log even. Then feed them banana. TADA!!! This is for females to lay eggs btw... the submerged log.

NOw for lavae... make a cup full of substrate with a screen lid ruberbanded to it. TADAAAAA!!!

For elaphus... after it is a BIG and ready L3... put clay in the bottom for a pupal cell.. Not necessary for LC though. just LE.

And no, no saturnid moths. But I'd love to get some.
can i use sweet birch or maple logs? we have tons of that here?

i think my problem is my substrate dried up :(

i should have luna and cecropia moth eggs soon and POSSIBLY automeris io, i'd be willing to trade eggs of both for maybe 6 capreolus larvae and 4 elephus larvae :D

and when u say clay, do u mean modeling clay?

Agent A: birch sounds good. I've found them in birch... And look in your inbox man :)

Rebecca: Anything that you find on the Forrest floor that isn't 100% solid to the touch.

Awesome! Maybe one day you could send me some stag beetles???? I've always wanted some :) .

Awesome! Maybe one day you could send me some stag beetles???? I've always wanted some :) .
Of course man. I will need to sell them or trade though. Probably sell as my hands are full with beetles and my mantid keeping is limited. I could sell them at discount though ;) .