Moulting questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Last week I bought my first ever mantis, they're a timor shield mantis (rhombodera kirbyi) and named Jeremiah (and the name will stay even if it turns out to be a girl haha!).
I can't seem to find any clear information on moulting - to my understanding it occurs every week to two weeks. Mainly I was wondering how long does a moult last and any advice on preventing mis-moults.
Thank you!

hello!
so exactly how long a mantis goes between molts depends on species, temperature, feeding, age, and sex. For example, at warmer temps (up to a certain point), the insect will spend less time between molts. A proper diet will also hasten development, and males tend to spend less time in an instar than females, especially as they get older.
for Rhombodera, about 2 weeks is a good estimate, but don't expect it to be 14 days on the dot.
a molt takes anywhere from 10-45 minutes, with older nymphs taking longer to finish a molt than younger nymphs. Be sure the mantis is properly hydrated and has good perches to molt from, and you're probably fine!

Latest posts