My first mantids ever found in wild, G. Grisea! Plus, mysterious ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An adult male is needed for ID, however they seem to be doing well for you. I suggest lining the walls with mesh to keep them happy :)

Bark is pretty unnecessary if u add lots of mesh
An adult male is needed for ID, however they seem to be doing well for you. I suggest lining the walls with mesh to keep them happy :)
The pictures they are in the collection cups (yummy ice cream containers with mesh lids lol) not their future homes. They have new homes with mesh lids, paper towel up the sides, and bark in the middle and across. The adults are in a split 10 gallon with lots of live lichen bark which they rarely leave, so I'm not too concerned about the sides for them. Went a little overboard, I should post it the enclosures soon.

Any updates on these interesting mantids?
I've updated the other thread I have on them more than this one if you want to read more.Every single one of them died. The one that lived the longest lived from the beginning of September (when I caught it, not when it was born) to the end of November. All of them looked lively and promising, until one day they would stop moving a lot and rest on the bottom of the container until they die. I had two dozen of them at various instars, all die like this. I even had a wild caught female lay an ooth, and it hatched. Every single one of the nymphs died after a week, after refusing to eat anything I put in with them. This species is HARD, way above my husbandry skills, and anyone else who has tried them so far (maybe like... two people). So I don't think they would make it to culture sadly. If the deaths didn't bother me, Id catch many more and try many different methods of raising them until I find their proper environment requirements. But it does bother me, so I won't. They are very interesting mantises to watch, but unless someone else wants to catch a bunch and get their hands dirty they might just stay a wild mantis.

TL;DR: They are hard to raise. All died. Too heartbroken to try again.

awww im sad to hear this. I remember 2 years ago finding one at the nature center. I originally thought it was mantioda maya l1. Its exciting that it could possibly be a new species. I still have the nymph you sent me and she is eating well. She is presub adult now. Hopefully I can get her to adult and laying. They are very difficult i had two nymphs from peru left and they randomly dropped dead yesterday at l3 or l4.

Last edited by a moderator: