My males are skinny and won't eat. Adults

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetterdew

Reaction score
I have a male adult ghost and a male adult Carolina mantis, and both have barely eaten in the past two weeks since their final molts.  They're both skinny.  The Carolina mantis nibbled some of a cockroach the other day, but gnawed its shoulder off before dropping it and leaving it alone.  Today, a bunch of bluebottle flies hatched in their cages, and neither mantis has eaten any of them (or maybe they've had one or two, but IDK).  Is this normal?

The females are eating a lot and looking fat, which of course is to make their ooths.  But do males really eat so little?  How often do you feed your male adult ghosts/carolinas?

I believe that I read that adult male ghost mantis rarely eat much. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure about the Carolina.

Yeah don't worry about it. However, if the males were eating a lot, then you might have a problem. They just need to stay light bodies to find mates.