My mantids history.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGhostMantis

Reaction score
I decided to start a story of all my mantids! These past ones I have read have been depressing and horrible. Although this one has had quite a few bumps it (as of now) is going smoothly. Well let’s start up. 

It all started with a L2 Tendora Sinensis nicknamed Cricket. Around April my family and I were at a baseball game of our family friends son. I had been sitting on a bleacher and I felt a tickle. And another, and another. I looked down to see a little baby mantis climbing my arm. My heart swelled like a balloon. I already knew he would be mine.

When we got home that night I made a jar for him and sat for an hour and watched him explore. He jumped like crazy and, therefor his name was born; Cricket. 

Everyday after school I would rush upstairs to feed my baby. One day, something was different. He was bigger!! My little boy had molted! I was so exited. Fast forward a few weeks and things were not as cheerful. Cricket was becoming slow and weak. He passed away the next day. I was super sad! But the big had bitten. I was totally obsessed. In early July I received my first ghost mantids. Casper and Mandarin, both who are still alive today and thriving! 

A little bit after receiving these two I decided 2 was not enough. I then ordered five Chinese mantids. They were only L2 apon arrival and so delicate. Soon after arrival, the only L1 passed from molting complications. Then 2 more. I was down to (at this point) 2 L6 Chinese mantids. Of course the day I planned to rehouse them they both passed from fallen molts. I was once again at square one. Only two mantids. I once again surfed the internet and found 5 giant Asian mantids for sale. I pounced on the offer. A week later they sat on my doorstep! At only L3 they were TINY! I put them in 30oz deli cups and watched them explore. Today I have 4/5. 2 L6 and 2 L7. I only recently lost one to a necrotic injury. Since my Chinese mantis breeding project failed I got 2 ooths from Josh’s Frogs who of today still haven’t hatched. And this is where I am now! Anyone who reads this and has any mantids to trade just tell me so and I may be interested. I will do updates on important things in the life of my mantids. I hope you enjoyed this short (pretty long lol) overview of my mantids and feel free to to comment!

49712715-20E7-4AF1-8F6E-FFCFB6BAF637.jpeg

A01A636D-A47F-4CBF-879E-C1A957899CE4.jpeg

DCD90425-83B0-4FCE-82E4-D5B24A1772D5.jpeg

Cool story! Mine is very similar, as are many others'. 

If that picture of the male ghost was taken recently, you can expect an adult any day! His wingbuds are swollen.

- MantisGirl13 

It always starts with our first wild caught. The good stories always do, anyways.

Ours was Mantis religiosa for my 7 year old. He'd really wanted a mantis. LIttle did he know what it would become in our house.

That was a over one year ago today. We found him in August. Now I have hundreds of individuals over a dozen species!

Cuckoo. LooooL!

Would you have any for trade for ghost babies or maybe a few you don’t...ya know...need xD. (Reading my asking for freebies is pathetic cuz I’m BROKE). What is your favorite species?

Would you have any for trade for ghost babies or maybe a few you don’t...ya know...need xD. (Reading my asking for freebies is pathetic cuz I’m BROKE). What is your favorite species?
Just so you know, he's in Canada! Shipping to/from Canada isn't cheap, and there's always a risk.

- MantisGirl13

What is your favorite species?
I really enjoy keeping thistles (Blepharopsis mendica), and the different Dead Leafs (Deroplatys sp.)

Having said that, I seem to have struck a perpetual orchid machine. Had another hatch this week.

Also, im expecting two more Phyllocrania illudens hatches, and a shield (R. stalii) hatch this month.

My unicorns are eluding me. I haven't seen a connection but ive had pairs together all week.

The first pic is the two side-blotched lizard and a gecko I found at my house.

2nd pic: Female side-blotched

3rd pic: BABY GECKO :D

4th pic: Male side-blotched lizard

A0B86110-A5A2-45AA-BE35-B46D7EC0E418.jpeg

BF741DC6-AD69-4DA9-B490-FEF21E3C0F8A.jpeg

262517FF-4992-4B04-8F76-E8D365FF7E74.jpeg

67524205-B60D-4298-AEB4-F6A740056D1E.jpeg

AE4C937B-B00D-4E3A-A202-42190CB023DB.jpeg

Give me a date of when you want it and I could set up sending you one! You should research them. They are called moorish geckos. A nuckname for the sp. is the crocodile gecko for good reason! They are so cute when they hiss and try to bite!