My mantids history.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t been posting on here much as I have been very busy. I now have over 30 inverts! Here is Mandarin my precious baby!

D4886F43-89C8-4F65-975C-4BE2EEF199A4.jpeg

Time for more pictures and updates!

Ok so bad news first...

My male ghost Casper fell on his back and passed in the middle of the night. Him being my second mantis I was devastated! My fist wolf spider also passed..she was a sweetheart. Now for good news! Willow my female giant Asian mantis molted to adulthood on the night of New Year’s Eve! I gave a Jerusalem Cricket to a young friend of mine and he named it Jitters because it was hyperactive lol. My male giant Asian mantis is in post molt, and my baby grass spiders I hatched all molted as well. My powder orange isopods has babies! And last but not least, I found a giant grub outside my house and named him Bob. 

EDIT: Arrow (giant Asian male) molted before my eyes!

All pictures will be below and here is what they are of:

The ghost the first day I got him

the isopods

Willow with her new wings

ENJOY!

FC66D1BF-615B-4C19-9318-961D9DDE1415.jpeg

C68089E6-CA1D-4914-9761-147FFC366D7E.jpeg

6D87A5A6-1203-439C-8582-0A2E72A07C3B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
...female ghost just dropped dead, she was egg bound. I even saw she was ok this morning which makes it worse. I wish I could have done something...😞

RIP Mandarin the ghost mantis,

April 10th 2019 - January 18th 2020

You will be missed...

...female ghost just dropped dead, she was egg bound. I even saw she was ok this morning which makes it worse. I wish I could have done something...😞

RIP Mandarin the ghost mantis,

April 10th 2019 - January 18th 2020

You will be missed...
I'm so sorry. 😢

- MantisGirl13 

Feeding these is gonna take forever!

Tendora Sinensis, The Chinese mantis

They will be for sale for $7 each, pm me if interested.

F7235877-B1E6-4AC8-8A15-21A08CE2A9F3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was an accident! I know I know! I though this ooth was done hatching and only put it there for stragglers! Update on the babies:

Only one death out of 120-30! All already jumped to hydei flies!

Gratz on the hatch. Your mantis babies will keep you busy😎

Sad Casper and Madarin died, but they will be never be forgotten.  My advise: keep the pics you made of them and make a photobook. I have 2 completed books and 1 in the making. iwill never forget any mantis I ever had.

Willow have wings like Liyana had. She is beautiful.

Phoenix molted!! She/he (still can’t tell so I’m gonna check ventrally) are nearly 2.5” now. I can’t believe how much they have grown since September...when I got them they were only a centimeter!!

071EB8DE-3AEC-4C6E-9C88-16A5B78C81B7.jpeg

You can tell ventrally by the “lippiness” of the spider’s epigastric furrow. If it is large and lippy plus facing upwards between the upper pair of book lungs it is probably female. If it is small, straight and not very lippy, it is most likely male. This is and iffy way to tell and the only way to be positive is to check a molt. For molt sexing, you may need a microscope depending on the size. If the spider is under 4” you most likely will need a microscope and a bright light. What you look for is spermathacae between the upper book lungs. Spermathacae are either a little flap when the spider is mature, or two little almost puzzle connecter lookin pieces. If the spider is a mature male, it will have bulbous pedipalps and will be quite leggy with bright colors depending on the species. I know @MantisGirl13 recently got a Honduran Pink Toe (Avicularia sp.) so this may be helpful to her.