My New Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cytronix

Reaction score
Hi, (I'm new By the way)

I have recently found a Pray Mantis and decided to keep it. I've had it since 27th Feb and I've fed it and gave it water as usual. But I know little about my pray mantis The photos are attached. I did a bit of research as well.

Is there anything that I can keep it healthy and comfortable in ?

Is there an idea of how old it is and when it will molt? Or it's gender?

20150307_164315.jpg

20150308_121350.jpg

20150308_121510.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum and the hobby
welcome.gif

For housing your pet look at various habitats in the Enclosures and Housing for many different ideas of something you can easily build for your mantis (habitat, substrate, perches, lid, feeding hole, etc.). For feeding and watering read in the Food and Feeding section for various tips.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will respond soon but here is what I think of your mantis questions.

Looking at the size, it seems to be a L3 instar, so it was most likely born at the end of January or start of February. It may molt within the next few weeks or sooner. I know many of mine have been molting to L4 recently.

Guessing by the several small segments at the end of the abdomen it is male, but without a photo of the underside of the abdomen and it's so young it is hard to say.

It appears to be likely a variety of Rhombodera mantis, but hopefully someone who knows for sure will respond soon.

I currently live in New Zealand so I found it outside my home.

UPDATE: It just molted! But it's still hanging upside down. I'm planning to change its enclosure real soon but I don't know if its still molting or not, so I can't really do anything until it's done.

[Picture]

http://prntscr.com/6ertvo

I will take a picture of the underside of its abdomen soon

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently live in New Zealand so I found it outside my home.

UPDATE: It just molted! But it's still hanging upside down. I'm planning to change its enclosure real soon but I don't know if its still molting or not, so I can't really do anything until it's done.

[Picture]

http://prntscr.com/6ertvo

I will take a picture of the underside of its abdomen soon
The molting process takes 5 to 20 minutes, but about an hour afterwards to finish inflating into it's new exoskeleton and to let it harden. I don't feed, touch or move them for 24 hours afterwards to ensure they are hardened properly.

The only native mantis to New Zealand is the Orthodera novaezealandiae, however there are some invasive African species lately.

UPDATE: I tried feeding him after 8 hours from posting this but he's not eating the moth I gave him (As I usually do). Please help

He hasn't eaten in almost 3 days

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: I tried feeding him after 8 hours from posting this but he's not eating the moth I gave him (As I usually do). Please help

He hasn't eaten in almost 3 days
Most mantises will stop eating a day or so before the molt, and at least a day after molting. As mentioned do not feed your mantis for at least 24 hours. It should resume eating late tomorrow or the next day, nothing to worry about yet. ;)