New here!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moohooses

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and excited to get started with this hobby! So far, set up the tank and ordered live feeders.

Hi, welcome
Thank you :D
I have a question. I got an enclosure set up that I learned won't work due to the type of mesh used. I don't want the tank to be useless though, as it can probably house an adult. It's there any way to replace the mesh with a better material? It's the zoomed 5 Fallon critter kit

Did someone say mesh is a problem? I'd more concerned with the large size. We typically use relatively small, minimalistic enclosures, so the mantis can easily find it's prey. A feeder could evade a mantis indefinitely in one of those nice naturalistic terrariums. Too many hiding places.

Did someone say mesh is a problem? I'd more concerned with the large size. We typically use relatively small, minimalistic enclosures, so the mantis can easily find it's prey. A feeder could evade a mantis indefinitely in one of those nice naturalistic terrariums. Too many hiding places.
Hmm, so my concerns were more on the types of mesh. I have some setups with mesh I know will be fine. These setups, however, are for nymphs. So enclosures for nymphs do not really concern me, I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to that

The situation that concerns me a bit more is when the mantises reach sub-adult/adult status. The tank I have is a more thick, less comfortable mesh (I imagine). I wish I could paste a link, but it was that 5 gallon tall zoomed terrariums. As a replacement, I got two 4x4x7 acrylic enclosures with mesh at the top. I believe (but I'm not positive) those would be good for adult mantises. They're done of the enclosures I found on Etsy.

If the zoomed I currently have wouldn't work in any case, can it be repurposed for something that would be useful?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The frog guys are modifying existing Exo Terras and Zoo Meds all the time. They'll replace mesh tops with glass for instance. No reason why you can't replace it with a finer mesh.