New Idolo stopped eating!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoledougherty

Reaction score
DSCN1950.jpg

Help!! My Idolo is so restless and hungry but for some reason it's not able to get the flies it's striking at. It was successful just up until two days ago. Dont know what the change is. I tried feeding a worm with a toothpick but she/he wont have any of it. Also tried hanging a worm from the ceiling. The flies are slow from the refrigerator at first so she can get at them but that doesn't help either. Any suggestions?

it might be the sign of her getting ready to molt. I hope everything goes well for your Idolo.

Probally gonna molt. Mantids flick away food when they are preparing to molt. My H. Majuscula has been refusing food for a week now. I am on a vacation so I don't know if he has molted yet. But before I left his wingbuds were bluish purple

Yep still not eating. Guess it's molting time. Hopefully I have everything set up properly. I think I've been reading the forum about these Idolos and how to set them up so they dont die or get injured during a molt up to the point to where my brain was about to explode. Looks like I've turned into a helicopter parent hovering constantly over the Idolo instead of my own kids lol. Oh well guess we'll see what happens.....

My violin was doing the same thing, but after 3 days she still had not molted so I tossed in a Blue Bottle fly Saturday night.

yesterday she molted...I saw the fly dead on the enclosure floor, she must have killed it knowing she was about to molt.

So sometimes they go days and days with no chow before a molt. although I have had creos eat one day and molt the next.

My idolo's do that too, not eat for a week or so before molting.

Taking out the flies and any other feeder is a good idea so as not to interfer with

the molting.

I nearly had one mis-molt! it had nearly shed it's old skin, then fell to the floor!!

Good thing I caught it in time. I carefully put her upside down on a piece of screen and she

finshed stretching and drying w/o further problems.

The longest I've had to wait for one of my sub-adult Mantids (Tenodera) to molt was 2 weeks, at which time he would not eat ANYTHING, not even a pinhead cricket!!

Well Day eight has come and gone. I've tried BB, House flies, large fruit flies, Wax worms, all with no luck!! ( just a fancy threat pose when a wax worm was offered by toothpick) :blush: .

She wanted out yesterday and walked around on our hands and seemed lively. Don't know where she's getting the energy. Really bummed. Hope she figures it out soon. She use to eat a long time ago.......I keep looking for that pose they go into before the molt but so far i haven't seen it. She does hang upside down alot and let a 4th leg just dangle in mid air. It's never the same one. Don't know what that means.

Aww. I hope she suprises you and molts.

btw do you have a youtube channel. With a video titled Our Praying Mantis Hanna? THe acount name is liek Nicole somthing. Just curious...

Aww. I hope she suprises you and molts.

btw do you have a youtube channel. With a video titled Our Praying Mantis Hanna? THe acount name is liek Nicole somthing. Just curious...
Hmm....only one we have up on Youtube is of my son Shane doing a toy review of his Millenium Falcon haha. Yep hopefully she'll surprise me in a good way :)