NEW INFORMATION THAT YOU MIGHT (WILL) FIND TO BE AWESOME!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minard734

Reaction score
My cousin talked with a person from the USDA and this is what he got!! THE MOST information yet for Mantidforum! WE ARE HOME FREE MAN!

The answer to this question is fairly difficult to explain. All Arachnids and the vast majority of Myriapods do not require a permit from the USDA to transport interstate. For the insects the requirement for a permit can only be answered when considering an individual species. If the insect has some interaction with live plants (feeds on any part of the plant or pollinates it) it meets the USDA definition as being a plant pest. These species would require a permit to transport alive across state lines. Basically, you must know the biology of a given species before a determination can be made about whether a permit (526 plant pest permit) is required to transport and possess the species alive. Insects that are predators, parasites, or feed on dead/decaying plant material generally do not require a permit. Keep in mind that if the USDA does not require a permit it is possible that various State agencies might have their own requirements (Depts. of Agriculture, Environment, Conservation, Wildlife, Forestry, etc.). The best bet is always to ask.
Wayne Wehling-

Sounds good, if Wayne said it, I can use it! and Can I have that in Writing?
My cousin emailed him to get this info. This was his reply.

I don't really know what you mean. Can you be more specific? If you are asking for his original words, these are them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate you sharing this information but it is obviously confusing our members and giving people the wrong impression.

This mention is not an official statement from a law enforcement officer and does not even begin to cover all legal jurisdictions (e.g. different federal divisions and/or state laws, as mentioned). Do not confuse this third party information as an official confirmation of legality. In fact, I think this violates the rules of this forum. Posting that your cousin talked to someone at the USDA is a bit too far removed to be credible.

I wouldn't call it as "home free" in my case. Not even Butterfly World can keep any exotic mantis except Detroplatys sp. and that is with a permit.

"Keep in mind that if the USDA does not require a permit it is possible that various State agencies might have their own requirements (Depts. of Agriculture, Environment, Conservation, Wildlife, Forestry, etc.). The best bet is always to ask."

I couldn't stress this part of the paragraph enough for anyone who gets excited about this, and you wont catch me asking any state people, anytime soon. Florida has some strict laws and I am sure that it isn't the only state that has such laws.

I just hope no one puts theirselves or their pets in danger because of this.

"Keep in mind that if the USDA does not require a permit it is possible that various State agencies might have their own requirements (Depts. of Agriculture, Environment, Conservation, Wildlife, Forestry, etc.). The best bet is always to ask."
MUMS the word. "It's fine with me, but you know there are other people who can get you". Federal laws can and most likely will overrule any state laws they want to.

Ouch , what a lot of confusion. The following are not my opinions, they are facts.

Wayne Wehling is the APHIS USDA entomologist who oversees the issuing of interstate transportation permits.His phone # and Email addy are available on line.The letter that Ryan's cousin received is a standard reply that says he doesn't know all of the state rules that may apply.

If there is a difference between the interpretatiion and prosecution of a a given state and the federal government, the more restrictive versiion applies in that state. In CA, for example, federal officers can arrest a person for marijana possession, even though the state permits its use under speified circumstances. Conversely, the law on declaring certain materials considered to be carcinogens by the state of California, are much stricter than federal laws on this issue, and the CA laws can be enforced in that state.

My guess is that the two mmembers most encouraged by this news are children. I raised mine in Chiicago's inner city, where the cops checked the kids for things a bit more interesting than mantis ownership. One of the things that I always advised them was never to bring themselves to the attention of law enforcement officers who can always book you for something if they want to. How could you draw attention to the fact that you are keeping exotic insects? Take them to insect fares, display them promionantly in a school science fair (CA allows the presentation of native mantids, or did, a few years back), go around telling everyone you can what you believe to be youir rights. Tjhose of you who are children should bear in mind that your parents can be held responsible for yourr actions.

Rick did by far the most complete and useful posts on this subject some while back. Find and read them! :D

Latest posts