New Jersey man caught by federal investigators

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2018/08/nj_man_charged_with_importing_endangered_scorpions.html

"Lapkiewicz could face up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for the wildlife smuggling charge. The false labeling of wildlife charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. 

On June 20, customs officers in Indianapolis intercepted a Federal Express package addressed to Lapkiewicz containing live giant millipedes. And on July 3, fish and wildlife agents at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York intercepted a package with 245 small containers with live orchid mantids inside.

Authorities say Lapkiewicz was twice warned about his actions, and federal investigators eventually learned he was selling the creatures through his Facebook page."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Are they serious about those numbers? Is this just he famous technique of piling up worse of charges to force a guilty plea, for lesser charges(from fear of a wrongfull conviction for the absurd charges)? I read that the USA justice system relies on this to get around the constitutional rights of its citizens to a fair trial, and that this is used to 97% federal convictions and 93% of state convictions. I dont know, but it would explain the 25 years 250 grand..Either way, Its probably not a good idea to tempt the gov to come after you, especially after they let you off, with a warning... 

Yeesh that was a scary read until I got to this part... it's one thing if you buy something without verifying where it's coming from by accident or being mislead but it's another to try to mass import on the regular with no license.... guess some people think they can just do what they want? 

Authorities say Lapkiewicz was twice warned about his actions, and federal investigators eventually learned he was selling the creatures through his Facebook page."

@rantology

i agree, it is a very scary read. 

Just to confirm, though, he was convicted because of the purposeful deceit in his packaging, right? And because he was taking them from the wild, and smuggling in the country? I mean, I ordered some orchids from England, and they passed through Indianapolis, of all places. I’m prettty sure my supplier doesn’t have a license, and I don’t, so is there any risk of law entanglement on his or my part? They are ones he personally raises and breeds, so he’s not harvesting them from the wild. He’s also got a legitimate business going  

I am about to order from him again pretty soon, but if there’s any kind of US regulation that makes it illegal, maybe I shouldn’t. Is it still safe for me to order from him?

@rantology

i agree, it is a very scary read. 

Just to confirm, though, he was convicted because of the purposeful deceit in his packaging, right? And because he was taking them from the wild, and smuggling in the country? I mean, I ordered some orchids from England, and they passed through Indianapolis, of all places. I’m prettty sure my supplier doesn’t have a license, and I don’t, so is there any risk of law entanglement on his or my part? They are ones he personally raises and breeds, so he’s not harvesting them from the wild. He’s also got a legitimate business going  

I am about to order from him again pretty soon, but if there’s any kind of US regulation that makes it illegal, maybe I shouldn’t. Is it still safe for me to order from him?
it is illegal to import live animals (and many animal parts) into the US without them going through customs.  Depending on the qty you are importing you may not need an import license if they are for your own use and not for resale but the shipments still have to go through a designated port of entry and be cleared through customs.  If he is shipping directly to your door via fed ex or some other shipping method you are breaking the law. such activity is known as "brown boxing" 

After hearing this, i think I might just order within the US next time...

He is on this forum and got good reviews in the breeder feedback section.  I friended him on FB to see what he had for sale a few weeks ago.  Too bad his supply line was sketchy. 

You gotta wonder what they did with all the orchid mantises they confiscated though....  ?

Latest posts