new to the hobby

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaturekeeper91

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm so new to the hobby that I don't have a mantis yet. I was hoping to get a lot of research done here before I obtain my first specimen. I was definitely hoping for some ghost mantids but what would be a good beginner mantis that a novice would be good with? I have had many reptiles and also tarantulas so I have a decent base of working knowledge on keeping a collection. Thanks!

Hello and welcome. :clap:

For a beginner mantis the most recommended would be a locally native mantis. That way you could release them into the wild if you hatch a ooth (ootheca) or change your mind. The two most common are the Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina), and the Chinese Mantis (Tenodera sinensis).

If your looking for something different read the article Good beginner mantis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and to the group..

Sounds like you have a good plan ... Beware of the obsession monster ... it can happen!

Hello and welcome.

I'd say start with a local specie or something hardy like Rhombodera or some of the Miomantis. My first was European (which is both local and hardy) and I regret nothing :)

When you set aside all the glamour of the exotics, the European is by far the coolest specie imo.

welcome,

I started with ghosts tried a few other species and ended with ghosts (plus a couple wild caught "gifts"...once friends know you are into mantid husbandry they find, capture, and gift you with more mouths to feed...lol)

but really ghosts are easy to care for and breed, and fun to hold and let out to explore.

Thanks all! I'm really excited to start my adventure. The local mantis is a great idea I do occasionally see some ooths. Not to mention the ghost mantis is one of my favorites I've seen so far..