New to the hobby

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShrekDatDankBoi

Reaction score
I first saw  a couple of the orchid mantids and was mesmerized by the color. I started researching more and seeing all of these different species of mantid has piqued my interest in the hobby. The most experience with mantids I have are hatching ooths to use as a feeder for my chameleons. The things go crazy over them. I am posting here as I would like advice as to setting up a terrarium/vivarium for one of these amazing specimens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I first saw  a couple of the orchid mantids and was mesmerized by the color. I started researching more and seeing all of these different species of mantid has piqued my interest in the hobby. The most experience with mantids I have are hatching ooths to use as a feeder for my chameleons. The things go crazy over them. I am posting here as I would like advice as to setting up a terrarium/vivarium for one of these amazing specimens.
Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Orchids (Hymenopus coronatus) are great looking exotics, but are recommended only for intermediate experienced mantid keepers, see their caresheet here. A nice looking exotic for beginners is the Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa).

Not so sure about the part where you mention your experience with mantids is just hatching them for chameleon feeders and how they love to eat mantids... That would be like joining the chameleon forum and saying I raised chameleons for snake feeders, and the snakes love to squeeze and eat chameleons...

Ah, but to each their own I guess, it just won't win people over that keep them as pets. ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Orchids (Hymenopus coronatus) are great looking exotics, but are recommended only for intermediate experienced mantid keepers, see their caresheet here. A nice looking exotic for beginners is the Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa).

Not so sure about the part where you mention your experience with mantids is just hatching them for chameleon feeders and how they love to eat mantids... That would be like joining the chameleon forum and saying I raised chameleons for snake feeders, and the snakes love to squeeze and eat chameleons...

Ah, but to each their own I guess, it just won't win people over that keep them as pets. ;)
I was young at the hobby at that point. I realized later that they weren't very efficient and were more interesting to watch grow than to just drop them into a cage to be eaten

I was young at the hobby at that point. I realized later that they weren't very efficient and were more interesting to watch grow than to just drop them into a cage to be eaten
We all do various things like that I imagine at some point. I know many chameleon keepers also feed them walking sticks, which is strange as many people here would love to find one as a pet (as they are illegal to ship in the US even state to state).

Well if nothing else it seems to have drawn you to mantids which is something. :)

Welcome! You may be on the path to mantis addiction already, watch out!. ;) I too was fascinated with chameleons before I was fascinated with mantises, and had several pet chameleons before I even started keeping mantises. Ultimately, I wound up way more addicted to mantises than I ever was to chameleons! 

Another great species of mantis for beginners are Giant Asian mantises (Hierodula Membranacea), if you want something larger and more active than the ghost mantis. They are also a great choice, becasue they are hardy and full of personality! Both species are great though, and reasonably priced, which is also a great plus when you are just starting out!

Latest posts