Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborah

Reaction score
Hi my name is Deborah and I'm a new member.

Any & all advice is very welcomed!

Right now I have 50 or so Chinese, 4 Carolinas and 12 Asian ooths.

Nice to meet you all !

Last edited by a moderator:
When can I start to feed bananas to my mantids ?

They are Chinese and they have hatched and gone through 2 molts. Thx

Welcome. I asked that same question and someone told me that when they hatch they do not have their first molt, but I do not know. I saw that they come out of some skin after hatching.

Welcome. Mantids are carnivorous, they don't eat bananas.

Lol. @Enigmatic Mantis'

Cats are carnivores too but they eat grass for the central vitamins and minerals to aid in digestion.

Many insects carnivorous or not will eat rotting fruit for sugars vitamins essential minerals...

I've been doing it for years with no adverse effects and I've seen positive health changes in doing so.

And there's definitely never any coaxing or Forcing them to eat it they willingly and anxiously are willing to eat a piece of banana when you introduce it to them.

It's not just my opinion take a poll thousands of people use this method and helping to raise healthy Mantis.

There are Mantis food supplements on the market that have to do with Bee pollen; well Mantis are carnivores why do they need be fed BeePollen; well when they eat the fly insects that land on the pollinated flowers those insects get pollen on them and then the Mantis eat that along with the bug and then the Pollen aids in their dietary supplements of a balanced diet.

Lol. @Enigmatic Mantis'

Cats are carnivores too but they eat grass for the central vitamins and minerals to aid in digestion.

Many insects carnivorous or not will eat rotting fruit for sugars vitamins essential minerals...

I've been doing it for years with no adverse effects and I've seen positive health changes in doing so.

And there's definitely never any coaxing or Forcing them to eat it they willingly and anxiously are willing to eat a piece of banana when you introduce it to them.

It's not just my opinion take a poll thousands of people use this method and helping to raise healthy Mantis.

There are Mantis food supplements on the market that have to do with Bee pollen; well Mantis are carnivores why do they need be fed BeePollen; well when they eat the fly insects that land on the pollinated flowers those insects get pollen on them and then the Mantis eat that along with the bug and then the Pollen aids in their dietary supplements of a balanced diet.
Yes I know. I've been doing this for a very long time. I'm not saying it is harmful, I am saying it has not been observed in natural settings with mantids. I am aware of one study where water deprived mantids would accept fruit and would choose banana over a random object presented in the same way. Bee pollen makes sense but pollen is protein unlike something like a banana. It is up to the keeper if they want to feed these supplements but my point being they're not necessary if provided a proper diet and watering regime. Why is 'enigmatic mantis' funny?

@enigmatic mantis,

No, I wasn't funny'n on your name' lol. Was about the banana info. That they don't eat bananas, ( they really don't need to eat them is what u were sayn) Great info and Definitely something to consider or possibly do a study on to flush out some more facts for us all to rely on.

Thank you for the input

@enigmatic mantis,

No, I wasn't funny'n on your name' lol. Was about the banana info. That they don't eat bananas, ( they really don't need to eat them is what u were sayn) Great info and Definitely something to consider or possibly do a study on to flush out some more facts for us all to rely on.

Thank you for the input
Oh I know they will eat them and many other things that hobbyists shove in their faces. There is a big difference though between what an organism will do in captivity and what they do in natural settings. The study I mentioned was only on two species and it was only one study which means the idea of fruit eating mantids is fair from being conclusive.