NY DEC Invasive Species Permit

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ma1451

Reaction score
So i know that pretty much everybody says that its not worth it to apply for a permit and that legally its  a grey area. Just curious if anybody has had any experience with this type of permit, if it includes mantis', and would be worth applying for?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/100696.html 

I don't see mantids listed in their invasive species lists. I would not think this permit would cover mantids. 

As I understand it, the only way you could get a permit is to disclose where you are obtaining the mantids. If the breeder does not have a permit then you can't buy from them. So really the only way to get them is to find a zoo that has a permit and is willing to sell you some mantids. 

If you are only using them as public display animals then it may be worth it. If you plan on just keeping them as pets or selling them you will probably just alert them that you possibly have exotic mantids.

As I understand it, the only way you could get a permit is to disclose where you are obtaining the mantids. If the breeder does not have a permit then you can't buy from them. So really the only way to get them is to find a zoo that has a permit and is willing to sell you some mantids. 

If you are only using them as public display animals then it may be worth it. If you plan on just keeping them as pets or selling them you will probably just alert them that you possibly have exotic mantids.
Yes. That conclusion has been reached here a few times over. 

Latest posts