Nymph turning red!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerbug

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this type of problem with their mantis?  This is a T. sinensis who hatched May 19th and has had his third molt (not including hatch as a molt).  It was always the strongest and fastest growing among the ones I kept.  The last molt was June 13th. Then I noticed on the 16th that, although he appeared hungry and struck at prey, he was not eating.  The day after that, I noticed the rear end with sticky reddish fluid (no odor to it) and the angry red color shown on the image.  He was still just eating fruit flies.  The red worked its’ way up the nymph’s body (from just the tip all the way to what you see).  The area posterior to (below) started to flatten.  I have only seen this in “floppers” who develop a stricture and can no longer pass food through their gut.  I have never seen this particular individual “flop.”  On the morning of June 19th, I noticed he was having what looked like seizure activity.  Am just giving him water (he doesn’t even want that).  Sadly, he won’t make it. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Number Two (2016).jpg

Unfortunately it looks like his back end just started to rot. Sometimes they can have a shedding where they seem to come out fine but something actually went wrong internally. My guess is after his last shedding something went wrong internally with his digestive track leading to a blockage that prevented food from properly passing all the way through.

Thank you Krissim Klaw for your quick response.  So is there anything I should be aware of or should perhaps do differently?  I provide water for them just once a day (as mist).  I notice that some of them drink and some don't.  They have high air circulation so water doesn't stand around for very long.  They have "house air" that is about 77 degrees and 55% humidity.  They have mesh & pipecleaners and seem to do well with molts.  I guess something going wrong internally I can't do much about that right?  Thanks again.

I have no idea if there is something in particular that causes the internal shedding error. I've never been able to narrow anything down to why it might sometimes strike an otherwise seemingly healthy nymph. It sounds like the majority of your nymphs are doing well so I wouldn't specifically change anything unless you are noticing a high number of losses. What you listed sounds like ample conditions.

Thank you Krissim Klaw for your quick response.  So is there anything I should be aware of or should perhaps do differently?  I provide water for them just once a day (as mist).  I notice that some of them drink and some don't.  They have high air circulation so water doesn't stand around for very long.  They have "house air" that is about 77 degrees and 55% humidity.  They have mesh & pipecleaners and seem to do well with molts.  I guess something going wrong internally I can't do much about that right?  Thanks again.
Everything you're doing sounds good. Unfortunately this is one of those things that will just happen with no real reason why. Molting can go wrong even when all the conditions are perfect. It's just one of those things you can't have any real control over. I had a nymph that got stuck in her old skin(thorax never split- conditions were 75-80 and humidity was 60-70%) and she eventually just died from that... sad, but just one of those unfortunate circumstances that come along with this hobby.

What substrate do you use? paper towels? and how often do you clean them? I noticed a while ago when I use paper towels when the mantis poops, if the towel is damp the poop always "melts" into the towel and gets dirty and can mold pretty fast, so I try to change mine every 3 days. This may have nothing or all to do with your mantis, but I like to always try to do anything I can to prevent any possibility of mold or bacteria from forming. Especially in small enclosures air flow is always a tough one. I have a little fan that's really gentle that I will turn on for a couple hours everyday/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Krissim Klaw.  No other losses so far.  It's always tough to lose one. They each have different personalities and I get attached. Oddly, I had decided to keep ones that weren't doing so well and released the healthy ones (except for this one). The "sick" ones with bad molts (mostly weird leg problems) are mostly doing well and my "healthy one" is not so well.

Thank you too Mantidaddicted.  I'm sorry to hear about your nymph that go stuck in her old skin (with probably ideal temperature and humidity).  I wish we could know what went wrong but (as you say) we will never know for sure.  Yes...this hobby can be a tough one.  But so rewarding too!  Regarding your question:  I don't use substrate.  I have bear plastic bottom (deli cups) and remove all debris (poop and food particles) daily. If anything, they are kept on the dry side for sure!  Thanks for asking.

Thanks again Krissim Klaw.  No other losses so far.  It's always tough to lose one. They each have different personalities and I get attached. Oddly, I had decided to keep ones that weren't doing so well and released the healthy ones (except for this one). The "sick" ones with bad molts (mostly weird leg problems) are mostly doing well and my "healthy one" is not so well.

Thank you too Mantidaddicted.  I'm sorry to hear about your nymph that go stuck in her old skin (with probably ideal temperature and humidity).  I wish we could know what went wrong but (as you say) we will never know for sure.  Yes...this hobby can be a tough one.  But so rewarding too!  Regarding your question:  I don't use substrate.  I have bear plastic bottom (deli cups) and remove all debris (poop and food particles) daily. If anything, they are kept on the dry side for sure!  Thanks for asking.
Yes, I definitely agree they all do have different personalities. And losing one is always heart breaking, but like you said it can be rewarding too-seeing them molt each time into something bigger!

I'm sorry for you're loss, and hope your other babies are doing well! Sending my love to them, lol!