Oldest wild caught sp. Limbata?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonovanXFrancesca

Reaction score
It's probably not a world record or anything, but I just find it really cool that my 2 wild caught sp. Limbata are still thriving. I have 2 females, Honey and Francesca, and they're both approximately 10 months. I know mantids kept in captivity live longer than wild ones, so it isn't a surprise. I'm just happy my girls will actually be able to see their second spring! Right now I have Honey sitting with me outside in the sun and I daresay she's enjoying it :) Who knows, they might even be able to meet their children, which are currently overwintering outside. It's a shame Francesca killed my male, Donovan, or else I'm sure he would've loved it out here too. 

Here's a photo of Honey enjoying the sunshine

Message_1578250880582.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a wild-caught S. limbata for a while as well; it died 3/4 into December. She was more than likely really old, and of course, as a wild-caught animal who has never really interacted with a human, she was very skittish. It's amazing to see that the one you have has made it this far!

We’re they adults when you found them? That’s an impressive lifetime!!
Yes, both fully grown adults! When I found Francesca I was confident she was newly shed as she was rather clumsy and shiny. She was more matte after a few hours and less clumsy. Honey was also an adult, although I wonder if she was already well into it as I think I found her in August/September and she was missing a wing. 

I had a wild-caught S. limbata for a while as well; it died 3/4 into December. She was more than likely really old, and of course, as a wild-caught animal who has never really interacted with a human, she was very skittish. It's amazing to see that the one you have has made it this far!
How nice! We're already into January which is just awesome to me. I've had tons of mantids before but this is the first batch I've kept inside so I'm sure that's part of their longevity.

I'm not trying to brag btw, I'm just pleasantly surprised with their age and how healthy they are. I'll do a photo thing of Francesca when she was young vs now. I think there's a visible difference, if I'm honest

We are in the same boat! I caught two S. limbata last summer; one has passed away and the other is still going strong! I've been catching this species for years and I can't remember for sure, but this must be one of latest dates I've had one still alive. Congrats on keeping your ladies alive so long!

We are in the same boat! I caught two S. limbata last summer; one has passed away and the other is still going strong! I've been catching this species for years and I can't remember for sure, but this must be one of latest dates I've had one still alive. Congrats on keeping your ladies alive so long!
I'm sorry but the timing is almost funny lol... Last night I had to put one of them down :( and the other is definitely on her last leg. I'm glad yours are doing well though! I caught mine this spring and they haven't aged well at all. I made a thread about it :)

Latest posts