Ooth hatching complications

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunSizedZoo

Reaction score
My Chinese Mantis Ooth started hatching about 4 hours ago. 10 came out right away however, not a single one has come out since then. I’ve never had a t. sinesis ooth produce less than 100 mantids. Is it possible that there is a blockage? I had the ooth in a 72 degree environment but I’ve moved it to 82 degrees and misted the ooth itself very lightly with just one little spritz. Not sure what else to do right now. My instinct was to cut the sucker open, but I resisted as I assumed that was absolutely the wrong thing to do. Any help is appreciated. 

You probably just have a few early hatchlings, called scouts. Don't cut the ooth, just be patient and wait.

- MantisGirl13 

Yeah, like Mantisgirl said they are most likely scouts. If you wait more will probably start hatching. Just wondering but, did you overwinter the ooth at all? Did you keep the ootheca in a warm environment since it was laid?

I have had Chinese ooths do this to me too, though it was March when it happened. One of my Chinese ooths for like 4 or 5 days had 1-2 nymphs emerge and then later the whole batch hatched with like over 100 nymphs!

@Mystymantis I kept them at around 72-77 degrees since the ooths hardened. I’ve kept humidity around 60-75. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the delayed hatch over the next 3-7 days. 
Ok cool.  If they don't hatch in a few days they might wait till later in the season to hatch, so don't give up.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mystymantis @MrGhostMantis @MantisGirl13 all of you were correct! They were scouts. About 35-40 new mantids just hatched today. Going to keep the ooth hanging just in case more still keep coming. I had them in about 75-80 degrees and kept the humidity a tad higher than normal and they poured out this morning. I’ve got them back now at 72 degrees and they’re all in a big netted cage until L2 (which I always do). I have the ooth inside of the cage tho right now so everyone can join the hoard if more arrive. Thank you for y’all’s help! 

Latest posts